Not Enough Outlets for EVs

Delaware and Bloom Energy extol the use of fuel cells to generate electricity here but there are conflicting reports:

It definitely has caused a cost burden on us residents using electricity.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

They have 2 at a little shopping center I never go to.

There are 3 bays at the parking garage closed to U of Maryland Hospital.

But the biggest difference is that everyone has to go to a gas station for gas. With electric, 60 - 80% of people will be charging at home.

How much is the toll?

Reply to
micky

Oh joy. More footage on rolling fire bombs:

Maybe you should watch some videos of the many gas powered vehicles that catch fire and burn up every day around the world. And start getting some news from places besides some unknown right wing religion website? Interesting how electric vehicle problems from a couple of buses in Europe are a hot topic for websites like this.

Reply to
trader_4

All of the energy in a battery is self contained. The fire company cannot even extinguish an electric car.

It takes oxygen for gasoline to continue burning.

I suspect you will not understand this because I wrote it.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You just have to stand back and let them consume themselves and hope there is no collateral damage.

And they keep reigniting, even when you think they are out.

This is what I'm afraid of. What if I go on a road trip and the car runs out of battery and theirs no EV charges nearby?

Reply to
Steve Mills

Thy are popping up every day and there are apps that will help you locate them. There is better coverage than there was gas stations in 1920. It is growing every day.

A few times a year I travel between Florida and MA/CT. No problem, plenty of chargers. I've not been to Montana so can't vouch for that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How many are functional? Some people attempting long trips have reported many aren't working, are very slow, or may have long lines.

Reply to
rbowman

I've not seen lines at all. Every time I've notices there were some open. Older ones are still slow but newer ones much better. Give it five years with new battery materials and chargers. They are talking 10 minutes for full charge.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Unless you were actually driving an EV that's anecdotes baed on random observation. I saw a charging station at the Casey Jones Museum in Jackson TN. There were no lines and in fact nobody using the chargers. Whoopee.

Reply to
rbowman

Whereas your insinuation that some fraction, large or small, of them are inoperative isn't based on anything at all.

"Some people" isn't a useful metric.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

If you follow EV news at all, there has been articles about long drives. It is not a perfect system yet but not impossible either. Would I buy an EV? If I had two cars, yes, one would be. For a single car, not yet but in 3 to 5 years, yes. Right now I take some trips of

1100 or 1400 miles one way. A month from today I'm starting a 6500 mile trip.

Ed Pawlowski