Monowi, NE. Population 1

There are little towns like this scattered all around. I can drive to some where I knew the owners of some businesses. They had to close for lack of business or the owners just got old with no one to take over. Farms got bigger over time and the county population naturally dwindled. A town's school would close or consolidate with nearby ones. Something to be sad about? Not really. The towns had served their purpose.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Nice story. I wonder what happens when she passes on. She seems happy though, good for her.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Where I grew up, there was a town 6 miles away that had two (old) people living there. When she died, there was just one person living there for the next couple of years. When he injured himself by backing his tractor into an empty basement hole, his kids moved him to a nursing home and from then on the town had no residents. It still had a working Post Office and grain elevator, but those folks lived on nearby farms. About

15 years ago, both the PO and the elevator closed, so I guess that's it.

My town was much bigger, at 33 people, but now it has only 4 remaining.

Reply to
Jim Joyce