No water to Shower - help!

When I discovered no water would come to the tub/shower in my guest bathroom (which hasn't been used in quiet a while), I called a plumber.

I was quoted a price of $350 to fix the problem. Having had no experience of hiring a plumber before (ex always took care of such repairs) I went on and OK'd the price. This was to get water back to where one could either take a shower or tub bath.

After working for about four hours one afternoon, the plumber said he'd have to return two days later to finish the job. He allowed his company had him set up with four new jobs he had to get to before finishing the job he'd started for me.

I protested, and he did show up the next morning around 9AM, working until around 1AM, when he announced he'd done all he could for the $350 price. He had replaced the shower head, which I had not asked to be done. He replaced the handle to turn the water on, which I'd not asked for, but assumed it was necessary to get the water running to the shower and bathtub. He had gotten the water running to the bathtub, but not the shower!

This plumber allowed he'd now have to tear out the bathtub to replace the pipes to get water to come out of the shower, which would come at great expense to me!

OK, I'll admit, I know nothing about plumbing. But I do "feel" I was being taken for an expensive ride by this plumber.

Can someone please tell me how I can get the shower to work without having to take out the bathtub, then retile around the tub?

I shutter at the mess and the cost!

~Jazzy~

Reply to
Jazzy

Somewhat "after the fact," but in getting contractors/tradesmen in, it is prudent to talk to people about what experience they have had, and with who.... Sorry, but something is amiss here. Seriously, without taking a close look, it is not clear why you would not be getting water in the guest tub. Usual suspects are a clogged valve, or a shutoff valve that has been shut off. If the plumbing is "old" -- read that as more than 15-20 years, all bets are off, especially if you live in a hard water area.

Reply to
professorpaul

Hello: If you have spout water and not shower, usually that spells a diverter problem. The diverter is either on the tub spout or located in the valve. If its on the spout, it may be stuck from lack of use. either free it up or replace the spout. Spouts are usually screwed on and you need channel lock pliers with wide bite. Protect the spout from damage (if you want to reuse it) with a rag. They can often be put back on with just hand strength and teflon tape. After the spout is removed you can block the tub outlet with a rag and water should divert up and out the shower. Diverters in valves are usualy repaceable, but can also get clogged or jammed from lack of use. try freeing it up with movement and maybe light tapping with the handle end of screwdrier. Otherwise, turn water off to tub and dismantle valve to get at diverter. Taking apart a valve is often self explanatory because there is usually only one nut at a time to remove. But, for some help go online to the brand's website for assistance. You can probably find a blowup of the valve which describes how to get at the diverter. If it's really been a long time since you've used it. try taking off the showerhead and rap the valve body with handle of screwdriver a number of times to dislodge whatever. Do this with water on for water pressure to help. good luck

Reply to
jake

This sounds like a one (maybe two) meal job.

I read a story about a single woman in New York who, when she had an intractable repair job, would trade the job to a single fellow living in her building for a home-cooked meal. The mental conversations went like this:

She: "He can put up a towel rack so it won't fall down, a regular miracle-worker. All I've got to do is throw a couple of extra potatoes in the pot."

He: "She's a miracle worker with food, I get a rack-of-lamb dinner in exchange for the right kind of thirty-five cent bolt."

Then they had sex.

Buy some steaks and look for a single man with a tool kit.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
ems2004