No posts?

My childhood home became a bank parking lot. A maple tree I used to climb was all that was left. It reminded me of 'About Schmidt' with Jack Nicholson where he goes to his old home and finds a tire shop.

There is also a scene that has become apropos lately. After he retires he goes back to his office to find all the files and other contents in the trash.

Reply to
rbowman

A good idea. Let them bother the campers and leave me alone.

Reply to
micky

Depencing on where the house is, the land may be worth more than the house.

When my mom and dad passed away it was in a house that I never lived in as they bought it after I moved away. I did a few repairs and let a realator sell it.

It may be better to flip it yourself. I lived in a house and when I moved out I hired a couple of people to work it over and sold it myself after I saw how easy it would be and saved the extra cost.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Actually, I have noticed that. On cross country trips, my wife used to clean the windshield every time we'd stop for gas, but in the last year or two, there's been no need to do that. It's nice, but to be serious, if the insect population crashes, it's not good for the rest of us.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Thanks. You've dropped clues here and there.

Just a few seconds to recreate, but no need if you're happy with what you've got. I normally use Unread here.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

In a crappy downmarket Detroit suburb. The lot isn't even wide enough for a driveway next to the house (as is customary with all other lots in the neighborhood).

No. No. No. I'm done killing myself with big projects. It needs so much work in the crawlspace. A plumber didn't hook up the shower to the drains; it just ran down into the crawlspace for several years. She had rats for a while.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

When we sold my mother's house, my wife knew someone that did the flea market thing. They cleaned out the house and sold everything and even gave us a percentage of the take.

Reply to
Ed P

Blocknews is apparently having a delay in showing posts. When googlegroups shutdown, a lot of users went looking for new places. Some went to Fidonet sysops that host newsgroups (free), others eternal september and blocknews also seems popular.

Reply to
cshenk

Lol Ed!

Reply to
cshenk

After posting this, coincidently I did see something about it. Seems we are destroying the insect habitat with more farming, more housing, using more insecticides. Micky was correct, the other article mentioned windshield cleaning, or lack of now. .

Reply to
Ed P

It's not only the pollinators but the knock-on effect for insectivorous birds. I used to have two hummingbird feeders to handle the traffic but there were only a couple of pairs last summer.

Now if it were only the tick and mosquito populations I'd be happy.

Reply to
rbowman

Add chiggers and I'd be happy too . We too have noticed a drop in insect populations . It's been affecting bees too , even out here in the woods . This is more than overeager home gardeners protecting their roses . We're 10 miles from the nearest town , there is zero monocrop ag withing 50 miles . And nobody out here is growing roses .

Reply to
Snag

I can't remember the last time I had a bug splat on my windshield.

I remember a drive in 1973 where and rainstorm combined with some kind of big flies overwhelmed my windshield wipers.

Reply to
Bob F

I'm sure BigChem shills would tell us that atrazine is "safe and effective" but I suspect the gay frogs would argue otherwise.

Slevin

Google sez: "A recent article in The New York Times claimed that the world holds 300 pounds of insects for every pound of humans."

Perhaps bugs cause more climate change than people.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I have seen insect invasions rise and fall. We had gypsy moths gone now, Japanese beetles are no longer a problem, a few years ago stink bugs now sparse and currently spotted lantern flies. I suspect the birds and bats have to develop a taste for them and they wane.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That has to be one of the most idiotic statements you've ever made.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I know you libs hate me. Thank you.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't hate you, as I've never met you.

I think your full of shit, however.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I don't blame you. Just tthe thought of having to search for and call more than one number to find a willing flipper wears me out.

Wow. I've had mice on two occasions. Just a couple days ago I foamed the hole where the AC compressor hose comes into the basement. I don't know if that's how they got in or not.

I had two aerosol cans of insulating foam that I bought at yard sales, not for the mice, but if they had worked, I would have used one of them. But i bought them 5+ years ago and they must have been old when I bought them (for a dollar) and notthing came out. (One had been used and the other never had)

so I bought foam from a company that makes mouse poison. The makers said it worked better than other insulating foam. Do you think so?

Even though I tried to use only a little, it ballooned out of the hole. But was easily cut off flush the next day. Now I have 95% of the can and don't know what to use it for.

How long ago was that. i thought ebay had ruined flea markets.

Reply to
micky