New faucet - reduced flow

I just installed a new Moen 7545, one handle, pull out kitchen faucet. There is a noticeable reduction in flow from our previous faucet. I suspect this reduction is due to a government regulation that mandates a reduced flow. There appears to be nothing wrong with the faucet other than a lower flow rate. Does anyone know what part was changed to comply with a regulation to reduce flow and can it be replaced with an older version (full flow) part?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

The strainer/filter at the end?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Lavatory faucets are 1.5 gpm. Kitchen faucets are 2.2 gpm. Not a big deal rinsing dishes, but PITA filling a big pot. At least some use the aerator to restrict. I don't know how easily they can be modified though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I don't know. I sent an email to Moen, but I expect a reply that is drafted by a lawyer. There's a big plumbing supply house near me and I'll call them and see if they have a recommendation.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

A lot of them aerators have a plasric thing that looks like a washer. Has a hole about 1/8" in it. Just remove that piece and reinstall the aerator. Or drill the hole bigger in it.

Also, when you change a faucet, or work on any plumbing, pieces of teflon tape, chunks of rust and whatever else is in the pipes will end up in the screen on those aerators. Remove the aerator, run the water at fill pressure for a minute, to flush out the pipes. Clean the aerator, and reinstall it. ALWAYS do this when you work on plumbing, for ALL faucets that may be affected.

If you get good pressure without the aerator, you can always buy a replacement aerator without all the water saving crap. But try the other things (above) first.

Reply to
Bud

Removing that washer looking thing will increase water flow. Ugh, I hate them in showers.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Yea, more useless junk mandated by the govt. Mostly because of ridiculous California laws. Sure, there are places in the US that have to ration water, and parts of CA are included, but for most of us, we have plenty of water, and dont need to conserve it. The good thing is that they are easily removable. I agree the ones in showers are the worst. I dont care to stand in the shower for 5 min, just to wait for the limited water to wash off the soap.

Reply to
Bud

When I moved in 1983, it was before anyone saved water, but I took out the regular spray head and put in a high volume spray head. It's very nice, but I almost never take showers.

Before I move out, I'll put the original one back and leave the new one in the mediciine chest.

Reply to
micky

You must really smell bad.........

Reply to
Bud

My shower is different. I put a little valve in to reduce the flow, because I have high water pressure and the flow without the valve is too high.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Now I have just the opposite. I replaced my 2 handle faucet with a

1 handle Pfister and the flow is greater than it was with the old one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I noticed in the parts list that there are two part numbers for an O-Ring and Screen Washer Kit (1.5 gpm and 2.2 gpm). There are also two part numbers for the Pull-Out Wand (1.5 gpm and 2.2 gpm).

I removed the O-Ring and Screen Washer and tested results and the difference was approximately what it would be from

1.5 to 2.2 gpm. No change was made to the Pull-Out Wand. I wonder if I got a 1.5 gpm version.

Damn tree huggers.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway