Mercaptan stink!

A propane phenomena you may be unaware of.

I returned from an 8 hr trip to discover my house smelled like gas. I freaked! Today, I was getting ready to pull my entire heater assy and hunt down that leak.

Upon refilling my 125 gal propane tank, I was informed by the propane delivery guy, the smell might be jes a common "low tank" condition. He went on to tell me, when a large propane tank gets very low (my guage needle was bouncing on the empty peg), the mercaptans become very strong and really stink up the house.

Sure enough, after filling the tank, I went to town (literally) fer a couple hrs. Upon my return, NO mercaptan stink! I do NOT hafta yank my heater, after all. Yay! Who knew!?

Now, you know. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Well, I did. That was what told me that I needed to call the propane company and get a refill. I'm not sure I still get that condition though.

See above.

Charles Bishop

I kinda agree. My info source was the propane delivery guy, a source I've come to trust in the 6 yrs I've known and dealt with him. He also did not know the exact reason. But, it seems to be a common condition. With a now-full propane tank, I have zero mercaptan stink.

nb

Reply to
notbob