does anyone make a decent wiper blade?

the common ones have been utter crap. i replaced mine last fall and already one has torn.
songbird

I've used Rain-X and lots of Bosch ICON. But just recently I purchased a pair of Good Year at Costo and quite frankly, so far they'be been the quietest and cleanest "Wipe" I've seen for several years. I paid $7.99 each at Costco and checked Amazon and they wanted $34.95 a pair.
Just my $.02 worth
On 1/31/17 4:20 PM, songbird wrote:

If you drive a Honda, buy blade refills from the dealer. Perfect fit, very high quality, do a great job, last a long time.
--
Every time you're about to get angry with President Trump, think the
phrase: President Hillary Clinton!
On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 7:44:09 PM UTC-6, Wade Garrett wrote:

If you buy the size designated for your auto, no matter the make or model wouldn't you get a perfect fit?
I don't drive a Honda but I have used the RainX and Anco and whatever brands on the market all did a good job, not great, just a good job. They cleared the rain and that's all I asked of them.
On 1/31/17 9:53 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
The aftermarket manufacturer may specify his 18 inch long refill for your ride- but your metal blade may actually be 17 3/4 or 18 1/8 long. The refill width may be off a hair over/under from what yours actually is- or the clamping groove configuration may be a bit different too.
Over the years, I've done OK with aftermarket refills on American brand cars. But I've found Honda (and Toyota OEM) refills superior and used them when I owned those makes of car.
As others mentioned, some car dealers sell OEM parts online at a good discount. I usually buy my routine wear/maintenance items like wiper refills, engine air filters, oil filters, crush washers, etc., from them. But I always cheap-out at Walmart or Auto Zone for my cabin air filter!
--
Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought…hell no, that can’t be right

ItsJoanNotJoann posted for all of us...

Not necessarily they may be shorter or longer and made of inferior materials. They are the makers 'equivalent'
--
Tekkie

On 1/31/2017 7:44 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

GMTA, Wade. I was just about to comment on this thread. I use the Rain-X on the Corvette (thanks for that link, Uncle) but the Odyssey and CR-v just get the refills for the OEM Honda wipers. They work great and are quite long lasting (so long as you don't turn on the wipers when they they a frozen to the windshield ;) ).
They see a fair amount of use here in the Chicagoland area and I still get almost a year out of a set before I find it necessary to replace them.
Wade. . . I do my own minor stuff on the Honda and find excellent prices and delivery times at www.myhondapartsstore.com
All OEM Honda parts and I'll buy three sets of blades at a time for both vehicles.

Testify! ;)
nb
songbird wrote:

The premium replacement wipers are Bosch Icon and Rain-X. My experience with Rain-X wipers is they don't last long and are streaky. The Bosch Icon are better but still only last six months or so.
The factory wipers on my Lexus lasted at least two years before I bought a new pair and that was only because they were TWO YEARS old. They were cheaper at the dealer than either of the other two.
On 02/01/2017 05:12 AM, badgolferman wrote:

It never crossed my mind to buy wipers from the dealer but I've never been back there since I bought the car. Nothing against the dealer, but I find it more convenient to service my own vehicles. The wiper blades usually come from the NAPA store up the street from my workplace.
The pita is they are different sizes and I have trouble remembering one size. I've had two Yaris's and I also have to remember the right year of the current one since the sizes changed during the model run.
rbowman wrote:

I bought the wipers from the parts counter and installed them myself. They are silent, clean perfectly, fit perfectly, no big bulges where it attaches to the arm, and all three cost $54.75.
On 02/01/2017 10:57 AM, badgolferman wrote:

For $54.75, I'll stick with NAPA, thank you.iirc it was about $20 for both sides.
rbowman wrote:

I have a SUV. Three wipers that lasted two years.

I think this is hilarious. Two whole years! Jinkies!! Almost as long as today's crappy windshields. ;)
nb
On 2/2/2017 12:20 PM, notbob wrote:

Seems that 12 to 18 months is normal. As for windshields, at about 60,000 is a good starting place. Almost as good as getting a new car when the pitting is gone.
On 02/02/2017 07:45 AM, badgolferman wrote:

I've got a Yaris hatchback. I have a replacement for the rear wiper but haven't used it yet, so that's been there for six year come next month. I replaced the fronts a couple of years ago and they're still going strong. What do you do with your wipers? Acid rain?
On 2/1/2017 9:52 AM, rbowman wrote:

I used to do my own work but quit some years back. I never went to the dealer for service until my last two cars. The dealer is cheaper than the dedicated oil change shops and they wash the car too. They sometimes have a special and put wiper blades on cheap too.
songbird formulated the question :

I paid over $15.00 for one blade two years ago. That's a big jump from the early 70's were a single wiper blade was less than 5 bucks.
put new blades on after each ice season is over, i.e. in the spring
on 2/1/2017, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com supposed :

We seldom get snow here. Temp gets down in the teens sometimes, but mostly in the 30's in early spring.