Modern wiper blades

Are the modern single piece wiper blades any better than the traditional ones? Mostly around town driving with the occasional long distance drive.
--
Jim S

On 17/11/2019 10:41, Jim S wrote:

I found them a lot better. They are fitted as standard to my latest car but I also retrofitted some to my previously 16 year old car.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/11/2019 14:07, alan_m wrote:

I did not know that they had altered. And the newest car I drive is 4 years old.
--
Adam

On 17/11/2019 15:10, ARW wrote:

This type that have been around for a good number of years (5+ years) https://www.eurocarparts.com/universal-flat-blades
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/11/2019 15:52, alan_m wrote:

Some comparisons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jQs3OI6Gvo

--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/11/2019 16:13, alan_m wrote:

Does he have to shout?
--
Adam

Bet he does. Hate to be working with that bugger all day every day.
On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 4:50:54 PM UTC, ARW wrote:

and thats the worst hair dyed job I've seen in a long time. What did he use, boot polish ?
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 16:13:10 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Thanks. Looks like Bosch. If watching turn your volume down :)
--
Jim S

Very decent comparison, but shit that bugger's voice is irritating.
On 2019-11-17 15:52, alan_m wrote:

Even longer than that. They were original equipment on my 11 year old Citroen Xsara Picasso and they perform very well.
Did they cure the horrible scraping noise when its not quite wet enough but too wet to see. This question is not from me, but the noise is a bit of a pain. Brian
--
----- --
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 19:37:40 -0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

They are much less prone to it. They don't judder over the whole sweep like traditional blades have a tendancy to do. Any judder, which isn't often, is just after they change direction.
I find them much better than traditional wipers. They follow the screen contours better particularly when it's freezing.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Yep.

Yep.

NO !.
My 59 reg Astra H has them and they squeak a lot when there is just misty drizzle or intermittent rain after a long dry spell.
Giving them a scrub with a nailbrush dipped in fairy liquid along their length cleans away the accumulated crap and seems to improve the flexibility of the blades themselves (for a while).
I might try adding some photographic wetting agent to the washer bottle one day to see if that helps.
On 17/11/2019 19:37, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Better in what way ?
On 17/11/2019 18:52, Rod Speed wrote:

I found that they stuck to the contour of the screen at all speeds much better than the traditional type originally fitted to my old car. I had to resort buying traditional blades with with an additional inbuilt aerofoil to provide the pressure to keep the blade in contact with the screen (2001 Ford Focus). Ford also fitted as standard a blade too short to clear the whole screen and it was common to replace the blades with something longer.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/11/2019 20:43, alan_m wrote:

I have just realised that my car had a single piece wiper blade on the rear window. That was swapped straight away as it squeaked did not clear the window and was far too small. It was also possibly very old.
--
Adam