Stixall adhesive

Modified Silicone

Reply to
Jimk

I'm using Stixall to secure/seal some PVC cladding.

Couple of points Google hasn't helped with.... low temperature use and is it OK for use on the cladding fill material as I am having to machine joints.

Temperature forecast here tomorrow around 5 deg. C!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I use Stixall outside quite a lot. It holds a variety of materials firmly and immovably together even in freezing weather, but in my experience never sets completely hard.

It's far and away the best of of its type that I've ever used.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I haven't used Stixall but have used Gripfill (full fat) quite a lot and love it.

A test I've used in the past is 'how easy is it to get off tools and fingers' and with Gripfill the answer is 'near impossible'. ;-)

When building the workshop I Gripfilled 6" lengths of 6x2 sawn wooden blocks to the insides of the cast panels that made up the walls (top middle and bottom). Then I hung 8 x 4 sheets of 1/2" ply to that and have since hung slotted upright / racking to them (through the ply and into said blocks). All seem to still be there 20+ years later. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, T i m snipped-for-privacy@spaced.me.uk> writes

Well it seems reassuringly firm after setting off overnight. I'll get on and finish the job today.

I am a bit nervous of tube fixatives after reading the threatening disclaimer that came with my shower panels and their supplied materials!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What is it based on, if its so good.how come I've never heard of it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

I'm sure it will be fine. JOOI, what I tend to do (for my own satisfaction if nothing else) is to test a sample of whatever I want to bond to destruction. The ultimate result being the surrounding material fails before the bond does.

Good luck.

Yeah, I think Gripfill (full fat, not the water based one) says it's not waterproof so not to be used in *exposed* external applications.

If doing that, I think I'd use CT1, another example of incredible stuff [1].

Cheers, T i m

[1] Given un repairable washing machine (13 months old) with ultrasonically welded tub so main bearings couldn't be replaced. I cut the (un-glue able plastic) tub in half round it's seam, replaced the bearing and bolted / CT1'd it back together again. 7 years later the bearings failed again but the CT1'd seam never leaked a drop (not bad considering the conditions in a WM).

FWIW, the dagger board casing of my Seahopper folding boat is fitted (in the boatyard) to the (flexing) hull using CT1. Given it's always under the waterline it's good to know they use some good gear. ;-)

Reply to
T i m

According to the label, "STIXALL, based on hybrid polymer technology..."

There is also a long and complex chemical breakdown of its constituents, which I hope you'll forgive me for not transcribing.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Technical details (though not the complete chemical breakdown found on the actual product) are here:

Bert Coules

And a more detailed listing of constituents is here:

Bert Coules

In message <IoKdnSOFJd48oEzAnZ2dnUU78N snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, Bert Coules snipped-for-privacy@bertcoules.co.uk> writes

A safe temperature range is given elsewhere but I searched for limitations at time of use. Perhaps there aren't any:-)

Worked OK overnight so 2 or 3 C not a problem. As you say it is not brittle hard.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Tim,

I was surprised to see that the clear version has less tolerance to high temperatures than the others. Perhaps the pigment shields the heat .

Reply to
Bert Coules

Very informative, thanks. Seems a little too good to be true and reminds me very much of a dow corning product you used to be able to get called Urethane bond. That was stickier than some very sticky stuff indeed. Best be sure you did it right first time! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Brian,

Stixall isn't one-chance-only instant-grab: it remains workable for a decent length of time. And once completely set a bond can be broken but it takes a great deal of effort.

It's also splendidly easy to handle. As a misjudged economy measure on a recent job I tried a cheaper alternative: I regretted it the moment I started working with it.

Reply to
Bert Coules