need electricity outside

hey,

i needs some electricity outside my house for a wireless security camera. does anyone make an electrical outlet/socket which would screw into where a lightbulb would normally go?

i don't know if i'm explaining this in an understandable manner... i have an outdoor porch light that has a pretty big vented glass globe which is under an overhang. it would be perfect if i could just take out the bulb and screw in a device that would allow me to plug the camera into where the bulb used to be (boy, do i sound stupid here or what?).

anyway, i did a search for "screw-in outlet" and "screw-in socket" and came up with nothing useful. does anyone make such a device and if so, what is it called? are they safe?

thanks,

sammy

Reply to
sammy

How bout this:

RBM

"sammy" wrote

No, I thought such a thing would be great for my Christmas lights, too, and I was happy to find they do make them. I just bought it at one of the big hardware stores. Every December, I trade my side door light for a plug for the extention cord.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Here 'tis:

As far as "safe" goes, they won't supply a ground to whatever is plugged into them, but you could run a separate ground wire to the box which the outdoor light is mounted on. Or. use a CFCI breaker on that circuit.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

These things are available most places electrical stuff is sold. I don't know what it's called, just what it looks like.

The socket will limit available current. This is often 2A or 5A. Either should be plenty for your camera.

Putting a GFCI on that circuit is a good idea.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"sammy" wrote in news:46c7a862$0$4085$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Readily available at hardware, home stores, or even wal-mart.

There are even ones with abuld socket so you don't lose the light.

However, all the ones I have seen are for use indoors, not sure that using it outdoors is advisable. In a well protected area (as you described) it may be ok.

Reply to
kpg*