Mystery Lock

I've had this lock and its key for about 40 years. I bought it at an antique shop but still haven't learned whether it had a specific use.

I suppose it could have been locked into a groove on a rod to keep the rod from being withdrawn out of something it was keeping closed until the lock was removed. That's my best guess so far.

Anybody here know its real purpose?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Chastity device?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Got me puzzled. It's a nice quality looking lock. So, it must have had a use. Please let us know, if you find out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is something similar. A "lever" padlock. Looks like a lockout to me.

Reply to
WWS TEXAS

Good find...I've never seen a lock like that and I do have some old padlocks here.

Reply to
philo

Put it on a doorknob inside where the door opens to the outside.

Reply to
bob_villain

The hinged body of the OP's padlock would separate it from all these examples of pancake locks .. and also from the 100's of round vintage padlocks from my google image search ... What is the size of the OPs padlock ? John T.

hubops

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016 00:16:02 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

I should have mentioned its size. It is 3-1/4" diameter and has no lettering or other markings on it.

It may be a one of a kind prototype made by an toolmaker in a lock manufacturing company.

Or maybe a thesis project for someone in locksmith school.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'm pretty sure it's for a pintle hook trailer hitch. Locks around the ring on the trailer to prevent it from being towed away.

Reply to
Jay Hennigan

If not for a pintle ring, it's probably something similar for railroad use. Brass lever type locks with barrel keys are popular with railroads. Not applicable to a Janney coupler but perhaps for switch gear or similar.

It definitely has the look of a railroad lock.

Reply to
Jay Hennigan

When I click on the link:

I get a message "no hot linking allowed". I've never seen this before, what do I do??

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

That's the message I get, too.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I have tried that many times over the past two days, always get that same message. Do you have any alternative access. I only use Internet Explorer 11.

Reply to
hrhofmann

IE11 works just fine for me.

Reply to
clare

I'm using IE11 as well and each time I click it on I get a message from wkrp.org

NO HOT LINKING ALLOWED! As far as I'm concerned it's a dead link.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Well, I've tried it with IE11, Edge, and Firefox. Works on all 3.

Reply to
clare

That's nice. But I do have Edge killed; incompatible with sooooo many sites. Since killing it, it is no longer an annoyance.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Does anyone, can anyone, please explain what "hot linking" is?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Chrome works fine too.

Reply to