Mystery Lock

I've tried it on several PCs and several browsers (IE, Firefox, Edge; Win7 and Win10). No luck on any of them.

Reply to
TimR

Perhaps wkrp.org has your service provider blocked?

Reply to
RonNNN

Which implies that it is a firewall issue.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Hotlinking is a term used on the Internet that refers to the practice of displaying an image on a website by linking to the same image on another website, rather than saving a copy of it on the website on which the image will be shown.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Men are supposed to put this lock on their penis BEFORE they begin drinking alcohol. That way, after they get drunk, they can not screw any "nasty" women.....

Sorry, I could not resist....... :)

Reply to
Paintedcow

I don't. I use Firefox, could it be browser-dependant?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Jeff Wisnia posted for all of us...

I have no idea, like one poster said it might be railroad related.

Do not under any circumstances let Stumped reply-he claims he is a locksmith-he is jamb breaker and con artist.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I have multiple browsers on my system. As well as Firefox, I have Chromium, Opera, Konqueror, and Dillo. That link works on all of those. It also works on Opera 12 (32-bit) and Safari (Mac).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I think they mean linking directly to the picture rather than some web page that displays it (maybe so they can bother you with ads).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Their hot-link detection doesn't work very will. It'd be better if it didn't work at all.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I don't think it's that limited a term. I believe hot linking refers to any text or image that has the tag attached to it that makes that image or text into a clickable link. Image maps, for example, can also be hot linked.

Reply to
Muggles

I just tried it with my backup connection (LTE). It still works. I haven't gotten it to fail yet.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I've never seen the term used that way and can't find any online information that defines hotlinking any other way than the definition above.

To be clearer, hot-linking detection would be done by the server, not the browser. I don't get any messages when viewing the image in question.

Perhaps there is a proxy server in the OPs setup that's confused. A single image can't be hotlinked to anything. When you click on that URL you should be going right to the server and asking for the image, there is no HTML involved where you might find a hotlink.

Perhaps the person getting the message should try a "view source" to try to see where the message is coming from.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I've never heard of hotlinking in terms of *only* referring to bandwidth stealing by linking directly to an image on another server. I've just heard of it in general as referring to a hypertext link or hot spot on a web page, which, can include the method you mentioned.

Are you referring to just the tag that references the single image being that can't be hotlinked to anything?

Curious ..

Reply to
Muggles

Da.