Old entry mortise lock replacements

Would like to cover the old plate on exterior door dad removed original skeleton key mortise lock and just put on a cheap knobset. Leaves the appearance problem of the now uncovered area. Unfortunately, while kept many things, afaict, that old hardware is no longer around.

To make the search even harder, the original hardware is the old multi-toned copper plated stuff (ca 1915) which I have had no luck whatsoever finding anything currently produced to even approximately match.

A new form-factor like mortise lock in polished brass is findable or a very inexpensive one in bronze or brass but still just skeleton key; I'd like just a little more security than that if possible plus its reviews indicate it is built like the price would indicate.

Q? is twfold...

  1. anybody have any other experience trying to replace such and solutions and
  2. if went w/ the bright brass, any ideas on trying to tone it down to not be so blindingly out of synch w/ rest of house.

--

Reply to
dpb

DBD-

My problem is replacing 1940's hardware that is wearing out. I have found both Brass and Silver mortise hardware with the same keys. The package has a key number listed, if you want several with the same key.

I suggest you try Ace, Home Depot and Lowe's to see what their hardware departments suggest. I forget which had the silver hardware I ended up getting.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

Which, is, in correct parlance "japanned copper".

I've found none currently available and, unfortunately, don't have the old plates...there are a few here 'n there as salvaged on eBay or some of the restoration-type websites want absolutely exorbitant prices.

--

Reply to
dpb

Have you looked here

The only thing I know about them is from the show American Pickers. They wander around and buy stuff from old and/or abandoned sites.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman