My refrigerator bit the dust

I have a side-by-side Jenn-air/Maytag/Whirlpool refrigerator.

My fridge recently started to make a 10 second buzzing sound, ending with a click. This repeats every 3 minutes. When the buzzing starts, the lights inside the fridge dim slightly and the compressor is not running. The buzzing sounds continue indefinitely in 3 minute intervals.

The refrigerator has stopped cooling. The compressor cannot be heard. The fan(s) are running all the time.

If I turn the fridge off for about one hour, and then turn it on again, the fans and the compressor come on, and it cools OK. However, after the fridge has been running OK for an hour, the buzzing/clicking sound starts again and the compressor stops running.

Would anyone have a clue what might cause this behavior? Is it possible that the compressor locks up after one hour of running? The fridge is only 2 1/2 years old.

I have a serviceman come out on Thursday but I would like to have an idea what the problem might be. The basic 2 year warranty has expired, but the 6 year warranty for the compressor is still in force. -- Walter

-
Reply to
Walter R.

The buzzing/clicking that cycles every three minutes is the over current safety device that shuts the fridge down until the safety device cools off.

It sounds like the compressor is turning with to much effort or the motor start capacitor if there is one is not allowing the motor to have enough torque to start up the compressor.

Reply to
tnom

see:

buffalobill

Mine did that and it was a start themistor unit. Cost me about $24.00

Reply to
deke

Your compressor is either totally dead, or needs new start components. If it's out of warranty, a hard start kit can often get a bit more life out of an old compressor.

Use the sentence "new Klixon start relay for the compressor, and a new overload, too" and see what kind of reaction you get.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon