Refrigerator noise

2 days ago, my secondary refrigerator (a 17 yo G.E. model) began making horrible buzzing and roaring noises when the compressor is running. Prior to this, the refrigerator had a nasty habit of making a noticable "knock-knock" sound when the compressor cycled off. Now, that sound is even worse. The odd thing is that the fridge is still working fine. I'd like to know what the problem is, if it's fixable and how long I have before the whole thing fails. Do I bother with a major repair, or do I buy a new unit?

-- "Having the right to do something does not mean that doing it is right"

- William Safire

Reply to
Chris ®

Actually, it seems to have served you well for many years. How bigs the fridge? Nowadays you can probably get a secondary for about 200 or like I did get it free. I got one for my garage for free at Freecyle.com. Works fine, and when we remodel the kitchen I get that one and can give the other away. You have to figure the motor bearings are probably going up. how much would that cost to repair. All has to be figured into keeping and repairing or buying new.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

18 cubic feet.

I'm already committed to buying a new one. I just hope this thing doesn't explode before I can get it delivered. There's a lot of expensive food in it I can't get into my main fridge.

-- "Having the right to do something does not mean that doing it is right"

- William Safire

Reply to
Chris ®

Sounds like the rubber vibration isolators on the compressor mount finally wore through and you have metal touching metal where there used to be a bumper.

The knocking when it starts and stops is the compressor trying to spin due to motor torque and the mounts hitting along the sides of the holes, the vibration sound comes when the rubber completely falls out and the vibrating compressor mount bangs against the fridge sub chassis unimpeded.

That's my guess FWIW

If you get an energy star, you should see an improvement on the utility bill right away compared to that old box. Don't forget to check your utility company website for rebates and disposal incentives. Could knock a lot off the bottom line$.

Reply to
PipeDown

The rattle when it shuts down are internal springs on the compressor. Not a cheap fix. May last years, may die tomorrow.

Time for a new one. You'll also save on electric.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Last year, I replaced all but one of my old room air conditioners with high EER models. That, combined with replacing my old incandescent light bulbs with CF's chopped almost $500 off my yearly electrical bil.

-- "Having the right to do something does not mean that doing it is right"

- William Safire

Reply to
Chris ®

Thank to everyone who responded to my query. All I can hope for now is that I can nurse this dying thing thru the next 4-5 days before I can have a new one delivered.