Maytag LA512 washer--anyone know about these?

I've been trying to get a good used washing machine. Although I'd prefer something more reliable like Whirlpool/Kenmore, I found someone selling a Maytag LA512 for what seems to be a great price. He says it's six years old but from my very limited knowledge of model numbers I think it's more like 10-15. He doesn't seem to have any more info on it, and without me knowing more it's not worth the drive to see it in the flesh.

Does anyone know the ballpark age of this model, and what kind of reliability I might expect? I assume it won't be as good as the PAV series but not as bad as the SAV. Just need to know a little more before I truck out there and make the deal.

Thanks

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

selling a

Hi,

Probably more like 15+ years.

When cared for, 20+ life expectancy.

The older 2 belt washer ( Dependable Care style ) is much better than the newer plastic tub PAV & PAVT ( Norge/MagicChef ) style.

SAV models are an Amana washer. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks for the info. Is there any reliability difference between the counterweight and orbital transmissions in these Maytags? I've heard the counterweight has better agitation but I can't recall anything else.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Hi,

Yes, the counter weight tranny seemed to last longer and had metal parts inside....the orbital tranny had a better agitation but had plastic parts inside and didn't last as long. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks for the advice. Picked it up tonight for $40. It's a June 1984 model with a single speed (hmm, where'd I put that laundry bag) motor and counterweight tranny. Looks like new, even the motor carriage is greased and clean. I wasn't able to test agitation, but it spun fast and quiet (unlike the two POS GEs it's replacing--how those idiots ever passed that transmission design is beyond me) once it was up to inside temps.

Just curious, any regular preventative maintenace spots, like grease or oil points? I'm going to clean all the seals, buffers, and replace the belts but nothing else jumps out at me. Love the internal design, even more service-friendly that my old Whirlpool/Sears family.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

transmission

G'day,

Glad to hear you will replace the belts, the motor track was/is about the only maintenace spot as the motor must move freely on the track. A little oil or lube on the motor track glides. Lint filter should be in the middle of the agitator, pull straight up to remove. jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

Cleaning and lubricating the motor roller tracks is about the only normal servicing/cleaning/greasing....it is a good idea to change the belts = less problem :) jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid