LV Cable Connections - Current Practice?

Anybody up on the state-of-the-art in making connections for low voltage landscape lighting cable connections?

I've used various dodges over the years to connect the black "lamp cord" - rubbish push-together taps, big screw together boxes, automotive splices/taps, etc. The local BORG tells me "we don't carry connectors for that anymore, just the cable, fixtures and bulbs".

Current issue is above ground, but exposed to elements. Also have some unreliable "semi-buried" taps I'd like to replace when I get a round tuit.

Thanks, WF

Reply to
WandererFan

On 10/22/2010 9:49 AM WandererFan spake thus:

Can't say as I know what current practice is. Like you, I abhor those cheesy connection methods.

Me, I'd make connections by soldering them (how old-school!), covering joints with shrink wrap (OK, a little more high-tech), the finally by wrapping in good electrical tape (like that really sticky 3M stuff). Which might be overkill, but would definitely last.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

What David said. I do the same. WW

Reply to
WW

I've used wire nuts and then electrical tape, stretching as it is applied, to seal off the open end of the nut. Worked for me, YRMV.

Reply to
Art Todesco

When the wire nuts are twisted on, then fill the end with some silicone caulk. An added measure to keep moisture out and help reduce corrosion of the wires.

Reply to
Oren

You have to be careful of the caulk. Some of the brands have chemicals in it that will eat up the wires.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Reply to
WandererFan

Ya know that never crossed my mind before, thanks!

Reply to
Oren

For LV hillbilly connections, I gather the wires together and tie them in a knot to provide strain relief, so that all the wires to be connected are side-by side. I then connect and protect them using whatever is handy. Wirenuts and caulk or grease come to mind. Shrink wrap would probably be a lot less messy.

Reply to
aemeijers

Gotta do what cha gotta do. HF has cheap shrink wrap. Avoid candle wax in the wire nut. It might heat up and melt.

I have used caulk on engine plug wires / distributor caps for sealing. Amazing how the water stays out.

Reply to
Oren

silicone filled wire nuts.

Reply to
Steve Barker

The telephone industry has been using a grease filled wire connector for many years. It's probably silicone grease ... only problem here is these devices are only good for small gauge, 24 or 26 solid wire. But, the idea of the grease has been tried and true.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Stay away from silicone caulk unless electronic grade, go with dielectric grease, found in the automotive section of your local hardware store.

Reply to
PV