Looking for outdoor LV cable

I'm looking for about 5 metres of 4-core cable for a low voltage outdoor security application (photoelectric beam detector). The alarm companies I've spoken to don't supply outdoor-quality cable and encourage me to the "ordinary" stuff on the basis that it will "probably" be OK and it's cheap enough to replace if it fails.

Looking in the CPC catalogue (last year's, but that's another story...) the best I can find is a 100-metre reel of ten-pair telecom cable at about GBP 60.

I suppose the other way to proceed would be to put indoor-quality cable in conduit but I want it to look unobtrusive so the smaller the better.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Look for a B van and offer the guy a drink in return for an offcut of cable?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

TLC sell 5 pair by the metre:-

also do a black 'ordinary' telephone cable that should be more resistant to UV.

However, I'd expect ordinary alarm cable to have a pretty long life outdoors - unless subject to mechanical damage.

Most large suppliers like CPC and RS etc only sell by the reel. The other alternative is to find a BT van and ask for some of the stuff they use externally on houses etc. This is 3 pair with a tough outer sheath.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

use armoured HV stuff if you want a really solid job.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The exterior grade telecoms cables are usually adequate for low current applications. Alternatively look at something like Hi-Tuf for more power hungry applications:

from TLC etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think the person is after ELV multi-core cable.

BS5467 SWA LV (600/1000V) 4-core cable is likely to be too big at 12.9mm outer diameter & bend radius 6D.

Outdoor-rated CW1038 BT 4-6 core twisted would be ok. o Gives more pairs than required, but is UV rated o Extra pairs can be used for security loop usage o Extra pairs can be combined to reduce voltage drop

It can be bought on Ebay... o 10m 15m 25m 50m to 100m lengths o 15m 6-core CW1038 £5.99 -- 250187930205 o 10m 6-core CW1038 £4.99 -- 250189447746

It is not armoured however, you would need SY CY etc which is more costly & really needs (expensive) glands.

Reply to
Dorothy Bradbury

Perfect, thanks - I've placed my order.

Reply to