5 core CCTV cable; connecting/joining

When joining a length of 5 core CCTV cable, is it necessary to rejoin the bare copper strand/s too, which I recall is a shield?

Reply to
Gel

Yes.

If you don't, it might not work, or it might work but the video quality be degraded.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it was'nt, it would not be in there ;-)

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Best to. With unbalanced circuits this might well be a signal ground.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks all. Was actually an oversized cable as supplied with cameras & just wanted to tidy up.

Hopefully if my connections good, might see a better picture due to much shorter run. What sort of block/connection would you recommend; is inside the garage, so doesnt have to be weatherproof.

Reply to
Gel