Lubricants

What are the best lubricants (not WD40) that sliding windows and patio doors?

Silicone spray
On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 3:57:34 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I use silicone spray, if needed, for that. But decent, modern windows and sliding doors really shouldn't need it.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

White lithium.
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 20:22:32 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

NOT white lithium - it cakes and holds dirt.
Are the windows vinyl, aluminum or wood?
Generally patio doors should NOT be lubed - they run on rollers on a track. If they get stiff it is often because of bad rollers - or dirt buildup on the tracks due to grease buildup.
Whatever you use on windows needs to be compatible with whatever plastics are part of the window mechanism (The solvent in some silicone sprays can adversely affect the plastic pivots on some vinyl windows - don't ask how I know!!!!!
On 3/18/2019 4:34 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

A caution I would give too. Quick look at safety data sheets for WD30, silicone and Teflon showed all to use aliphatic hydrocarbons which do not dissolve PVC but there are numerous common solvents that do and some of these sprays might contain them.
I have had to caution my wife about sprays on our Trex deck. Someone told me that his wife sprayed suntan lotion on their grandson standing on their Trex deck and ended up with foot outlines etched into the deck.

That's why I asked what kind of window. Soap works great on wooden windows. So does wax. Neither work well on vinyl (at least not candle wax) A good caraubu auto wax can work well on vinyl.
On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 12:48:20 AM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:

Caribou are such cute, gently animals. That you Canadians grind them up and make them into auto wax is despicable.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us...

I use Tri-Flow, it does not attract dirt.
--
Tekkie