What are the best windows (energy wise)

I am loking to replace a couple windows . They are vinyl double hung. The main thing I'm looking for is energy efficiency. I want the best windows to stop heat loss in the winter. I want vinyl tilt in also. I don't care about the cost. H.D. Lowes? Thanks

Reply to
chrisc

"chrisc" wrote in news:4845c292$0$5709$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

You should get windows that will close.

Reply to
Stephen King

Peachtree 700 series.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

The difference in heat loss between two different brands of gas-filled, e-coated, double pane windows is negligable. Even if their insulating values are double, it's still a negligable amount compared to the savings you would get by adding more attic insulation. You're talking a difference of may 1 or 2 "R" values. That's miniscule in the scheme of things.

The most important shopping feature is replaceable edge seals, since worn seals leak far more air than than inefficient glass. Reputable manufacturers have a track record of offering replacement seals for their older models of windows. Think about it, if you can't find replacment edge seals down the road, the window is worthless--even if it does have a higher insulation value on the glass.

Just as important is proper installation. Sloppy installation can eat up all your savings.

I'm not saying energy efficiency is bad, just that too many people get caught up in the numbers, when in reality, there's no way you can cost justify those high end efficiency numbers by going from R1 to R2.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Andersen Windows in my opinion are the best. But that's like asking who would make the better President.....

evodawg

The reason I ask is i have gas filled vinyl now and they are garbage. I am getting condensation on all of them in the winter and the insulation around them and temperature was checked. Some are just not made well is what I found out. I moved in here a couple years ago and they seem to be new windows , but they are (Im sure) the cheapest they could get before they sold the house. Maybe you do get what you pay for.

Reply to
chrisc

Hmmm, Must be an El Cheapo brand or poor install.. My house is ~15 years old. During that time one window(the smaller one) leaked due to glass chip. If sloppy installation causes mechanical stress on the frame, they won't last. My house is 2x6 wall with R-20 insulation, triple pane windows with gas and tint built in. Our seasonal temp. swings between -30C to +30C.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

condensation can be caused by too high indoor humidity.

that condensation on windows from too high humidity, perhaps too high a setting on a humidifier can cause mold growth inside walls.......

if the windows have moisture trapped between the panes of glass, the sealed units can be replaced without replacing the entire window.

plus unless your planning on replacing every single window be careful so they all match at least from the outdoor appearance.........

a elderly neighbors windows were condensating, they had all of the 6 year old windows replaced with premium anderson ones.

only to have those condensate too........

trouble traced to a bad humidstat, and discovery the excess moisture had rotted out their roiof sheathing from the inside out.

a home is a system, get your entire home system checked, it might not be the windows but something much worse, and the windows a symptom

Reply to
hallerb

Call your LOCAL windows guys and tell them you want Simonton windows and you want their best price. For a standard window should be about $250-$300 installed. You can call Sears or Home Depot and get the same window installed for $600-$700.

Reply to
Vlad

The best might be Loewen they are about R7. I think they are in Colorado. R 7 is twice what the rest are

Reply to
ransley

Truer words were never spoken. Interestingly, I've been finding articles discussing how original wood single-pane windows, well maintained, left intact with triple-track storm windows protecting them actually do a pretty good job, all things considered. Replacing all the windows in my 1930 house would be prohibitively expensive, and the new stuff either is really pricey or total crap, so I'm staying with the original windows that look good plus storm windows. The payback for new windows isn't fast enough for me (a lifetime, in other words).

Reply to
KLS

I dont have a humidifier. I have around 45-50 % humidity in the winter which is kind of high. But, no one can tell me what the cause is. Yes, I have a bath fan, etc. etc. I went through it with those energy audit guys and they had no clue.