Looking for a Torx screwdriver/bit with 8 instead of 6 points

Are they a double square? Robertson head? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Have to remove some kitchen cabinet doors, I find that they are all installed with a type of Torx screws, however a normal Torx has 6 points to the star type of configuration. These screws look like a Torx but they have

8 points to their star type of configuration. Has anyone seen these things, and/or know where I can get a screwdriver or screwgun bit?
Reply to
Eric Tonks

Several years ago some one came out with those 8 sided sockets. They didn't pan out.

Just use use a Robertson/square/socket head screw driver. A kind of Canadian thing. See LeeValley.com for tools.

Dave

Reply to
Dave L.

Reply to
nospambob

Sorry, can't help but I can sypathize with your dilemma. I have run across a couple of Torx screw sizes for which there don't appear to be any screwdrivers for. One is the Palm Pilot, the other, a DeWalt battery charger. Can't take them apart.

There are 3 common sizes of square Robertson screwdrivers, and the smallest is quite tiny, not that commonly used. The bits are tapered slightly so fit a wide variety of square holes. They have been around since the '30's, are far superior to the Phillips, grip the screw really well, but were declared un-American. The Canadian inventor died in poverty. Then, when robots in the US and Japan began fumbling with useless Phillips screws, the equally PITA Torx screw was invented. Now you need 12 more screwdrivers to get the job done. And you're still missing a few.

JohnK

Reply to
Porky

Security screws? I saw a set of drivers of all different sizes/shapes that was being sold as a "security screw driver set" at the local hardware.

Reply to
John Hines

Johnk,

I am just looking at a palm pilot also myself - what's officially the smallest Torx end they've made? is it the "T-10" ?

I'm looking at my set here and I'm missing one peice which I think might be half the size of the T-10 again but the T-10 is huge compared to the ones on this palm pilot which are absoloutely miniscule.

Reply to
scottylans

Update: Just found this for the palm pilot - super super small torx bits?

Hope this helps someone else doing a deja / ggroups search also (search keywords below)

T-1 T-5 T-10 tiny small bit set

Reply to
scottylans