torx screwdrivers

Hello,

I wanted to open a broken electrical appliance but it is screwed with T20 screws. I have some Torx bits in a set, a bit like Screwfix no.

85453 (though mine were not as expensive!) that you can fit onto an electric screwdriver.

The problem is that the screws are so deep set and the bit holder is too wide for the screw holes, so I cannot reach the screws! It's frustrating to have the right bit but not be able to reach.

Are these Torx bits going to be that useful if I always have this problem. I see that SF (and others) sell screwdrivers with Torx ends. Would these be a useful investment? I don't want to buy them for them to gather dust on a shelf but I am thinking they would reach parts other tools would not reach?

Thanks, Stephen.

PS. Whilst searching Screwfix I found a hex screwdriver set, code

68227. I thought this would be a similar thing with hex ends but it is actually normal screwdrivers with a hexagonal shaft. What is the advantage of this? Why push the fact that the shaft if hexagonal? Is the idea that you can use a spanner on it? I have heard of screwdrivers that you can turn with spanners but when would you ever do this? Screws that have seized in place?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Stephen

Getting a security set like 95315 would be a generally worthwhile purchase for dismantling electrical items.

Reply to
Andy Hall

At a pinch, if the Torx screws are not too tight, you can get away with filing the tip of a cheap long flat-blade screwdriver, to fit *exactly* across two opposite star points. There used to be a range of Philips boom boxes that used Torx screws to secure the case halves together, and these were recessed so deeply into the case rear, that I never did find a Torx driver long enough to deal with them. So I 'modified' a standard long screwdriver in the way described, and have used it ever since - that's many years - for dealing with one of these, when they cross my bench for repair.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

A lot of things use Torx screws which are not recessed - so the set will come in useful. I had the same problem when trying to open my pressure washer - which is held together with recessed T15 screws. I bought a long thin T15 screwdriver from Halfords to get round that one - you may have to buy the T20 equivalent.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Something cheap like

?

Reply to
dennis

Yes, that is what I was thinking about buying.

Reply to
Stephen

Thanks. At first, I thought this would suffer the same problem: not being deep enough to reach, but I see that this particular set is a long(er) reach set so it might be worthwhile. I notice it's £10 more than the stubby size set though ;(

PS I notice that some sets are marked as Torx and others as "star". I realise that Torx is a trade mark but is there any difference between a star T20 and a Torx?

Reply to
Stephen

if there is a branch nearby.

When I wanted to open a fan heater for cleaning using masking tape to hold the bit onto a piece of brass tubing worked. Making the end of the tube into a hex shape would be even better.

Reply to
Stuart O'Donnell