Tiny Torx screwdrivers

I've been looking at buying a set of Torx screwdrivers for taking small things apart, the sort of screw that's 2mm across. But there seem to be two notations out there:

T4, T5, T6, etc and T0.5, T0.6, T1.0 etc (often they're quoted as T0.5x40, where I'm guessing

40 is the shaft length), such as these:
understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are something like T4 or T5. But what does the other notation mean? I'm guessing it might be something to do with the internal dimensions:
inches, but it still doesn't make sense. Perhaps T0.5=T5, T0.6=T6?

Thanks Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

> I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are

Whilst I can't explain the size conventions, if you need a torx driver for you phone, search on Fleabay. 353 hits just now for torx in the phone category. HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

> I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are

My guess is that your are right. Either that or the tools are more suitable for watch repairs!

I have a small box of C.K Tools. The Torx parts are labeled TX 05, TX 06, TX 07 and TX 08. ( i.e. use of leading zero)

I used them for taking a DEC phone apart.

Reply to
Michael Chare

like these, and very keenly priced. Maplins do a very interesting range of small and precision tools and the shops are always worth a browse round. The dentist type probes and tweezers are handy too...

>>> I understand the T4, T5 notation - I think the screws in my phone are

Reply to
Steve H

In article , Steve H writes

I've got the first one of those (7pce) and am very happy with it, fine for SE phones but it doesn't have T4, just T5,6,7 +misc toys. I see the larger set has T4 but it's 20quid.

Reply to
fred

The other day I needed a small Torx driver to undo a shroud around the car's steering column - the right size one in my Machine Mart "Chesco" set was a bit short to comfortably reach one screw. The only "standalone" one I could get locally (a T20, very roughly 1/8" 'across') was a ½" drive, totally overkill for self-tappers into polyurethane or whatever, so I just used it as a hand-held 'screwdriver' :-)

It cost a fiver, but I try to convince myself that it'll pay for itself several times over... :-(

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Did you do the PDP-11 at the same time?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Ahhh - happy memories!

Reply to
Richard Perkin

I preferred the data general nova (IIRC) myself. There was a mod that required soldering a resistor (AIIRC) onto the backplane to double the speed.

Reply to
dennis

My PDP's held together with cross-head screws...

Reply to
Huge

Were they made by DEC?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Huge wrote in news:euggoc$6cd$2 @apophis.demon.co.uk:

The memories are of the PDP-11 in assorted variants (11/70, 11/40,

11/34, 11/23, 11/73...) under RSX-11M and 11S. As well of memories of reading the source code and becoming familar with the work of one D N Cutler before he moved onwards and upwards(?).

But perhaps nostalgia ain't what it used to be :)

Reply to
Richard Perkin

Probably no relation to Ivor Cutler :-(

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Ditto. Plus RSTS-E. I had an '11/24+ until a few months ago. Gave it to Bletchley Park.

Well, sideways.

Given that a modern PC can run RSX on a PDP-11 emulator faster than a real PDP can, I suspect so.

Reply to
Huge

Why would anyone want to?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Done by IBM long before that...only it was snipping a wire.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I started on an 11/20 and an 11/03. Then many others. I still do a demo of UNIX v6 (the original release) as part of a UNIX history lecture I give...! (using a simulator...)

Reply to
Bob Eager

The guy who had a car number plate with ... 'CMKRNL'.... on it!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Huge wrote in news:eugk5m$75j$ snipped-for-privacy@apophis.demon.co.uk:

Indeed. Nice touch about Bletchley Park. I really should have thought about them when I discarded some reels of DECtape and software on fanfold paper tape from a long-gone PDP-8 when moving house last year.

I remember that OS/8 (the operating system for the PDP-8) had a 'programmer's joke' - on 4 July it would declare independence, and respond to all commands with the command prompt and take no other action. Even at the time I didn't think it was acceptable, but perhaps I was just too serious...

Now those *really* were the days - the days of 12 bit words and 6 bit bytes.

Reply to
Richard Perkin

A modern PC can run OS/8 even faster....!

I actually assembled and ran a significant program on OS/8 recently...

Reply to
Bob Eager