screwdriver recommendations

Hi,

After years of use/abuse, my screwdrivers need replacing. Can anyone recommend any good ones to get or warn me of bad ones to avoid?

I see that there is this set by Wera

claims to reduce cam-out by having grooves in the tips. It seems screwfix also sell wera bits for electric screwdrivers: some with grooves and some with diamond particles in to help them grip.

Do any of these work or are they just gimmicks?

Are the handles comfortable to hold, they look a bit odd in the photo.

They also sell two sets with "shaped" shanks. This one is square:

this one is hexagonal:
claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has anyone ever used a spanner on a screwdriver to release a tight screw? It sounds like a good idea in theory but I wonder if it really works in practice or whether this is just another marketing claim?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

My favourite hand screwdriver is the Stanley one that has a reversible shank with two reversible bits. Giving two flat blade screwdrivers and two cross point screwdrivers. The sizes cover most of the things I want them for and they have endured lots of work without the tips wearing at all, unlike cheap brands which use an alloy of steel and cheese. The handle is rubber and triangle section so is great to grip and apply force if necessary. Also with the bits being integral rather than separate there is no risk of losing them. Very quick to change bit too. A smashing little screwdriver.

I don't the Stanley model up from this one that has a rotating sleeve containing several more bits... the sleeve is difficult to rotate being very stiff.

Reply to
David in Normandy

Not tried the manual drivers, but the Wera bits for power driving are usually very good.

For comfort in the hand and decent grip, I quite like the Stanley Magnum drivers:

are a good shape for me, and the rubber coloured inserts in the handles give extra grip.

Reply to
John Rumm

I bought this set maybe 2 years ago and can recommend them. I did break the PZ1 driver, my fault as I was using it in a PZ2 screw that was really tight. Other than that, they are really good - so much so that I have since bought 5 or so more of the PZ2 drivers when they were on sale.

Another one to look out for is the Halfords 'Pro-driver' set that is given away free with cans of oil. Retails at £20ish iirc, but free with

5 litres of oil. Good drivers.

No such claim about the above drivers. If you need a spanner to turn the screw head, then it may slip, far better to get a drill driver to do it, they will give far more torque than is possible with a screwdriver and spanner turning it. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Wera or Wiha, depending on if you're in Screwfix, Toolstation, or Axminster. Both are good, personally I prefer Wiha handles in the larger sizes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Have the very similar Wera VDE drivers, and tiptop quality - can't fault it.

Reply to
dom

Fred wibbled on Saturday 10 April 2010 19:31

The Wera's have the best handles IMO - good grip. The bit end is pretty good, though driving a lot of pozi's (why do we still use this crap?) mentally tight will eventually wear them out.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Bought this set 4 years ago & have been abusing them on a daily basis since. Can't fault them.

go right through the handle on the ones I have, so you can beat lumps out of them. Comfy rubber handles which give good grip even with wet hands, different colours for slotted & pozi.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Or even better an impact driver.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Oy! Have you nicked mine? 8-) Ded good they are.

Reply to
<me9

Many times... Many, many times...

Or rather, used a mole wrench on a screwdriver shank. The shanks are often too small, or some daft non-standard size, and you don't get much leverage on a 0 B.A. open-ended spanner.

But best of all, a screwdriver bit in a carpenter's brace.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

Wera

> that claims to reduce cam-out by having grooves in the tips.

Excellent screwdrivers. The grooves really do work, and they have a very comfortable handle. They are a quid cheaper at Toolstation (including free delivery). Stanley screwdrivers are good too, but the Wera ones are my favourites.

I've not done that, but my socket set has a socket which is specifically for powered screw bits which I use instead when I want a bit more leverage. The problem then is keeping the bit in the screw, and not damaging the screw. The socket set also has universal joints and various other attachments which makes putting screws into awkward places easier.

dan.

Reply to
dent

Ditto (handy also for tightening fixtures wih limited access)

To be honest I just use a handle with interchangeable bits; it costs me about 2 quid (equivalent of) for a box of ten (identical) bits at the local hardware place, so I just keep a few of different types around (and they'll take a 1/4" spanner and go nicely in the hand-held drill).

The only time I use anything else is for situations where the slightly wider shaft on the usual handle won't fit.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Crap for getting lids off paint tins.

But I'd wholeheartedly agree in most circumstances.

Reply to
Rod

I've got a pile of little metal opener widgets that my paint supplier seem to insist on giving me whenever I buy paint from them :-) (can I find them whenever I actually need one? Of course not, but the concept's sound... ;-)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

WERA tools are very good .... they do what they say ... they are the only hex drive bits I ever buy ... well worth the money.

> that claims to reduce cam-out by having grooves in the tips. It seems

> and this one is hexagonal:

> They claim it is so you can use a spanner to get extra torque. Has

Reply to
Rick Hughes
[about turning them with a spanner]

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. Screwfix made a point about saying they had a hexagonal cross section. I could not think why they would draw special attention to that, so I assumed it was so they could be used with spanners. Why do they mention the hexagonal shape if it is entirely cosmetic?

Reply to
Fred
[about wera]

Lots of recommendations for Wera, so I'll look to buy both their hand-held screwdrivers and the bits for use in my drill/driver.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

I use the SF pozi 1 & 2 bits in packs of 10. I usually lose them long before I've worn them out.

Reply to
stuart noble

To which you can add mine. I bought a set of their diamond coated bits (£17! Gulp!) a few weeks ago and I wish I'd bought them years ago.

Reply to
Huge