How to drive hole saw

Hi,

Got a hole saw kit

shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths ?) How are they supposed to be driven with an ordinary drill. The shafts are too large for my drill. Is there a reducer to allow them to be used in a smaller chuck? An 11mm nut spinner (if I could find one) might do the job but ...

Thanks for any help.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C

These are designed for use in a 1/2" or 13mm chuck, probably because many of the smaller drills with 10mm chucks may have difficulty turning the larger hole saws anyway.

Reply to
John Rumm

> The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths

We're going to need a bigger chuck,chuck. :-)

Reply to
George

Very common with sets of holesaws and auger bits, especially the 'bargain' ones. The buggers never seem to mention it in the adverts or catalogues.

I replaced a faulty 10mm chuck on a 14.4v Makita with a 13mm deliberately to over come this problem, however I wouldn't advise doing the same on a drill of lower quality. The Mak has enough welly to cope with big holesaws & augers, cheaper tools may not.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I think the key issue is that lower power drills will work, but not without some enlightened common sense..hole saws cannot be rammed in at full power without problems anyway..a high tooth speed on the larger ones will generally cause overheating.

Its the difference between a silly consumer market where people do anything the kit allows, and expect it to work, and a professional market either things like RPM limits are set and may be expected to be adhered to..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The shafts are hexagonal 11mm across the flats (or could they be 7/16ths

They're like that because you need a suitably powerful drill for the largest sizes which will have a 1/2" chuck. You can get the smaller sizes to fit a smaller auger - but of course this is a kit.

If you're only going to use it on 'easy' materials like plasterboard you might be able to fit a 1/2" chuck to your drill.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How easy is this generally? My 14.4V deWalt drill has a 13mm chuck but the

18V angle driver has only 10mm. Ideally I suppose I should like to be able to swap back to the 10 for when the extra length of the 13mm is too much, but just being able to drive holesaws in confined spaces with the angle dangle would be nice.
Reply to
John Stumbles

Dunno mate. I have the luxury of a mate who owns a hire shop wot is also a Makita service centre, I just take stuff in & he sorts it. Cost me a score all in. Very handy, no deposit hire & free delivery on plamt as well. Its not what you know its who you know etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

If you open the chuck fully, there's usually some kind of locking screw at the end of the gearbox shaft - to allow reverse operation. Usually a left hand thread. Remove that and the chuck should unscrew in the normal direction but will often have to be shocked free. A pair of mole grips and a hammer should do it. But having written this other makes than those I've seen will be different. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I find that you can often put the SDS hole saw arbor into a 10mm chuck, it's not perfect but it's good enough for making holes in awkward places.

Reply to
Ed Sirett