Wera ratchet screwdriver

Looking for some presents for me and it occurred to me that I have 7 assorted good to very indifferent philips, pozi and slot screwdrivers cluttering up my toolbox. I know that, in the main, Wera kit has a good reputation but is a bit pricey - does anyone have one of these, if so please comment on usability.

rbel

Kinell that's £30 for a screwdriver?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes, but hopefully some else will be spending the £30.

Reply to
rbel

Does/did anyone ever like ratchet screwdrivers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is one of my reasons for asking about it. I seem to remember back in the dim and distant past having a Stanley(?) ratchet screwdriver which was useful on the odd occasion but far from a favourite. The difference is that now I have iffy shoulders and intermittent problems with my right elbow which mean that I try to use my Makita driver for most things, but there are times when manual screwdriving is the most sensible option.

I assumed that if anyone could make a reasonable ratchet driver it would be Wera.

Reply to
rbel

I don't have one of those, but often use one of these

Doesn't ratchet, but does have 6 different bits in handle and the screw holding device is simply brilliant.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I have a Great Neck ratchet driver, straight or pistol grip, 12-bit storage in the handle that I bought from B&Q years ago and it's my first choice for manual screwdriving. Used it loads and still going strong. One of my favourite tools.

There's a pic of it here and a review that says it's shit:

Whatever. I like it.

Reply to
mike

I bought the Stanley FatMax that Screwfix currently have on offer for around £12 IIRC. It has a very smooth ratchet action, a speed-up gearing mode (hold the front of the handle still while turning the back end and the shaft wizzes around) and a bit-holder in the handle. The wizzy speed- up is most useful for starting wood screws without a pilot. The handle bit store is a bit stiff to open and fiddly to get bits in and out of their holder. And the driver itself is a bit bulky overall. So, not a bad bit of kit. Not perfect, but not £30 either!

Reply to
John Stumbles

I like the Stanley FatMax too - thinking of buying another.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

And I am hoping that Santa will be fetching this for me

ARW

Pretty sure that's the one I Have. If so, I just wish they'd included the traditional push pull thing for reversing (or disengaging) the ratchet action. I like to be able to *see* whether it's on forward or reverse. I like the bits having PZ1 etc stamped on the side. I can never differentiate between Phillips and Pozi. I certainly wouldn't be without a ratchet screwdriver a) because it halves the time assembling flatpack (I have recently proved this!) and b) because you can use throwaway cordless bits. I also bought a cheapo stubby ratchet from Lidl. Amazed the number of times I've needed to use it.

Reply to
stuart noble

I so wish that there were a standard international code for these things that did not rely on imperfectly stamped letters. Keep thinking that they should have multiple distinguishing features - colour, shape of coloured area, etc.

I know some of the expensive ones have some colour coding but because it isn't universal, it only helps those who use them regularly.

Reply to
polygonum

If you think that is pricey look at the Snap On equivalent at £86.40! It should be called the McEnroe.

Peter Crosland

What an interesting concept for the more delicate end of electrical work and it does put the price the one I am interested in into perspective:)

Reply to
rbel

Then you lose the bits one by one. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

All of 10p each to replace

Reply to
stuart noble

I have the Faacom version, and its great >>

yendor

Hope you have been a very good boy..... at that price!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Damn.

Reply to
ARW

Well there's an 18pc set on eBay that looks just like that going for £44.99 including P&P.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+