Wera screwdriver sets?

Hi all,

I've seen mention here of 'Wera' screwdrivers and saw a set at Homebase whilst looking for a good fit screwdriver for some laptop screws the other day.

It seems a 'good' Philips No1 fits these screws, as can some Philips No0 drivers, but not all.

My test being does the screw stay on the tip of the driver when it's held near horizontal (non-magnetic).

As a starting point, this Wera KK60 set I saw only goes down to a Ph No1 but I don't know if the tip of that would be small enough to fit these laptop screws and so wondered if they did a smaller (sized tip) set for finer work and if so what (do the panel recommend) and do they typically fit nicely in these screws please (so likely you would have to have used them on a laptop to know)?

(I would be happy to have a range of other tips in similarly small sizes if they were likely to be good and last etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you are doing laptops, you need to be aware that there is a Japanese cross-point screw standard that is different to both Phillips and Pozidrive.

Good quality bits and sufficiently magnetic chucks are two separate issues.

Reply to
newshound
<snip>

(Ah, that makes a lot of sense re why it seems quite hard to find a std Ph/Po bit that fits nicely).

Understood.

So, any idea where we get one of these Japanese bits from please, other than 'Japan' that is? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdrivers are usually available on EBay. Filing the tip of a Phillips (NOT Posidrive) a tad often produces an acceptable fit especially at smaller sixes.

(make sure you use a metric tad, not an imperial one).

Reply to
Peter Parry

eBay, Amazon. You could just Google "Japanese Screwdrivers".

Reply to
mm0fmf

Put JIS screwdrivers in to ebay

Reply to
FMurtz

Lookout for Japanese JIS screwdrivers, though I have a set that goes down from Philips1 to Phillips000 and never found anything in a laptop it can't tackle

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ok thanks, I'll have a rummage.

Yes, that's sorta what I felt I needed, a Ph0 that was slightly 'fuller' or a Ph1 that had a good point on it (and what I already have and that generally do the job ok).

;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok.

No, quite, I have always managed but felt there might be a better solution (hence the reference to my intended use in the question).

In many cases the Xhead driver on my Leatherman will remove the base screws on a laptop with no damage [1] (as it seem to have a fairly fine tip) but not always (nor is it particularly fast / nice to use as the screwdriver is offset from the centre).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. Can we assume all laptops are made in the Far East and therefore would use JIS head screws? I ask as I believe I have had varying results with different (apparent) makes of laptop?

[1] Ideally you wouldn't be able to tell that the laptop had been apart because there would be no sign of use on the screw heads (even if they were tight).
Reply to
T i m

You'll possibly find this of interest:

Richard
<snip>

Skimmed and bookmarked, thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Mmmm now let's think it through for a moment....

Reply to
Jim K..