Bent screwdriver

Does anyone know where I can get one of those sets of screwdrivers that look like one 2-ended blade in a sort of elongated z shape.

I really need to know of a national store chain where I can go to tomorrow morning to pick a set up. Ideally, Poundland or Poundworld :-)

The electrician mounted everything in too close proximity and I don't really want to have to take 2 boxes off the wall and disturb the wiring to be able to plug in a replacement central heating controller.

Reply to
Bill

any good?

Reply to
ARW

On 26 Feb 2016, Bill grunted:

An offset screwdriver

Not a particularly unusual item; I'f have thought any toolshop/ironmonger/DIY shed would carry them.

Ebay for sure if you can wait a bit longer.

Reply to
Lobster

with next-day delivery. As stated elsewhere, even their Free delivery is really quick recently.

Reply to
Davey

In message , Davey writes

That's the most interesting one as we have a Buck and Hickman depot near here and I remember that when I had an account with CPC I got a note that they had taken over B & H who could supply their goods.

The one recommended by Adam might do, but the screws are tight up against the wall, so a bent rod is definitely better if I can find it.

They are all over ebay, and I know a lot of market stalls have them, but we haven't got many sufficiently downmarket tool shops here that I know of.

Screwdriver in the B & Q online catalogue brings up no results.

I'm being blamed for the heating and have the replacement plug-in timer and frustration.

Reply to
Bill

Good luck! I was recently looking for some pin punches, and had the same experience. CPC delivered them the next day.

No I'm looking for some special springs.

Reply to
Davey

I've a cruder version of this:

and find it handy at times. Mine's just flat with a ratchet.

Bit bulkier:

PeterC

You might do better to buy a small 'socket' set with a ratchet drive and screwdriver bits. That will fit a small space as easily as the angled screwdriver, but be much more useful. It's the sort of thing Lidl etc sells often, and you'd find on market stalls or Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Or just hold the bit with a small (6mm?) ring ended spanner.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I've got a small set which came from Lidl, consisting of a number of hex bits - pozi, flat, etc. - and a handle with a bit holder at each end. At one end, the bit is in line with the handle, so it acts like a normal screwdriver. At the other end, the bit is at right-angles to the handle so you can generate more torque *and* use it in confined spaces.

It doesn't have a ratchet, though. If I need a ratchet, I use a ratchet handle from a small socket set in conjunction with the right sized socket to fit a hex bit. That works ok, but there's a tendency for the bit to fall out of the socket unless I use a tiny strip of gaffer tape to hold it in place.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes. Most of the extensions you get for screwdriver bits have a magnet to hold them. Could be done on a socket for this purpose too. I tend to use an elastic band to hold a nut or whatever into a socket, just jammed between them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Adrian Caspersz writes

OK, I've got it done and working. I got the Screwfix set, but it was too big to fit in the space. The right angle gearbox on it felt horrible, but seemed to free up after being manually "run-in". In the end I used a small bit held in an adjustable spanner, pliers and, when it was loose, fingers. My smallest Mole wrench was too fat to fit.

The installation was utterly stupid, with neither screw accessible because of the box beneath, with a large cable running across the top. To move the box would have meant disconnecting at least 3 cables. The heating installation was generally good, but they used a subcontractor for the electrics.

My spanners are still not sorted and cleaned after the fire inside the Disco, and because no-one has yet been prepared to take on the replacement Grand Cherokee, the tool collection is still being sorted, scraped and de-fumed where it hasn't been binned. So there are still bags everywhere with assorted blackened or melted tools. ( I've found a diesel mechanic who didn't run when we discussed the holes in the scuttle to reach the Vesuvius-like injector, but his mother died a week ago and his sister-in-law was diagnosed with cancer the same week, so I'm in a queue).

We made a long journey to Buck and Hickman, arriving at 11. The website says open 9.00 to 12.30 on Saturday. The shutters were all down. I was not pleased.

A Z-shaped screwdriver might have been ideal. Ebay or a market stall here I come.

Reply to
Bill

And when they fail to come up with the goods, remember CPC.

Reply to
Davey

Or Axminster...

At least you don't have to wait months for the deal to come round again.

Reply to
polygonum

I've got a couple here. Two sizes, cross head one end, slot the other. But they are deeper to the bend than a bit into a small ratchet. And very difficult things to use. Other thing is I suspect they are phillips rather than pozi, so not really a good fit in any screws here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

/That's/ the 'flat one I have - couldn't unforget where it was from. Very good compared to the bent ones.

Reply to
PeterC