Load center replacement

Obviously gfretwell's fault.

Reply to
bud--

Note Bud proclaims LOTS of stuff but when it comes down to it I stand by the overwhelming number of links stating its hard to impossible to get homeowners insurance with K&T and fuse boxes just to name a few. Perhaps some do find insurance thats much more costly:( just like bad drivers can buy insurance only at horendously high premiums. I linked and pasted that the NEC prohibits insulating around K&T

Wonder how many years ago bud sold moms house? if he tried selling it today his story may be different....

Reply to
bob haller

Your post is totally unrelated to Pete's.

But yes - thank you for bringing back my all time favorite: "the wires in knob-and-tube are aluminum" which is a problem because copper and aluminum "carry current at slightly different speeds" and "copper into aluminum is where things get tricky - if the water (current) flows faster thru copper than thru aluminum, you are going to get a backup at that junction."

(By the way, you never answered Bub's questions about electrons backing up. I want to know too.)

And another favorite: "no ground wire, [makes] the use of GFCI style electrical outlets (receptacles) and GFCI and AFCI breakers useless".

They really sum up your quality arguments.

By the way - you never said - does your house meet current NEC codes for new construction? Are most of the breakers AFCI? Is all your romex 90 degree rated NM-B? Is there a neutral at all your switches? Are most of the inside receptacles child proof? Are the exterior receptacles weather proof? Do you have an exterior receptacle in the front and back? Does every 6 feet of wall have a receptacle? (I didn't even know that was in the NEC!) Are receptacles kept off circuits with lights? (Didn't know that was in the code either!) Do you have a Ufer earthing electrode? Do boxes have light fixture or fan rating?

I am really concerned whether your house is "truly safe".

And all you a.h.r landlords - I know you won't sleep at night if your rental units have the gross defects above. hallerb and I want everyone to be "truly safe".

In this thread hallerb got wrong:

- Clare needed to convert to breakers because of homeowners insurance.

- you can't get insurance for fuses

- you can never get insurance for K&T

- you can never get insurance for K&T from State Farm

- there is a "great chance of a loss" (K&T is intrinsically unsafe)

- there are no boxes with K&T

- if you open a wall with K&T it is "mandatory to upgrade"

- homes with K&T can't be insulated

- "posts here from insurance workers statements about K&T being uninsurable"

- everyone's house should comply with current NEC requirements for new construction

- you can't add major appliances to a 100A service But when you have a fetish who cares about a few mistakes.

Reply to
bud--