Let's not waste this moment

Safeway/Albertsons paragraph on Order Food page:

Past Purchases:

If you signed in with your just for U account or registered with your in-store phone number or Club Card, all of your past in-store purchases may take a moment to load. Please check back in approximately 10 minutes.

Apparently they don't know what a "moment" is.

Reply to
micky

Apparently, you don't know that a "moment" can be an "indefinite period of time."

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Apparently, you don't know in what context that would be a valid, applicable definition.

Reply to
micky

You cited context that is perfect valid for that definition. Apparently, you don't understand the meanings of the word "indefinite" and the phrase "period of time."

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Generally about 90 seconds. Certainly not 10 minutes.

The reference of the word 'moment' goes back to 1398, found in Oxford English Dictionary. Cornish writer John of Trevisa wrote that there are

40 moments in an hour (hence 90 seconds each). Oxford has since replaced it with, “a very brief period of time”.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The Oxford dictionary is a fine reference; it is not *the* definitive reference. As I stated, the word "moment" *can* mean an "indefinite period of time." It does not mean only what the Oxford dictionary may state.

See Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary, 2003.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Because in other contexts, people have started to use "indefinite" to mean lasting days, months, maybe forever, that does not mean that in this definition it refers to long periods of time. It refers to indefinite SHORT periodds of time.

Only the first meainng below is relevant.

an indefinitely short period of time; instant: I'll be with you in a moment. the present time or any other particular time (usually preceded by the): He is busy at the moment. a definite period or stage, as in a course of events; juncture: at this moment in history. importance or consequence: a decision of great moment. a particular time or period of success, excellence, fame, etc.: His big moment came in the final game. Statistics. the mean or expected value of the product formed by multiplying together a set of one or more variates or variables each to a specified power.

When I called my bank to report my CCard stolen, they said they'd be with me momentarily but it took 30 minutes. Their (recorded) statement was also incorrect.)

Reply to
micky

So, what exactly is the duration of a "short period?" In this context, "short" and "brief" have nearly the same definition, so please avoid using "brief" to describe "short." Exactly what is the duration of an "indefinitely short period of time?"

The word "momentarily" can mean within an "indefinite period of time." The bank's recorded statement is indeed correct; they responded within an "indefinite period of time."

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Moment, shortly, later, etc... There's plenty of words for a period of time, that don't actually tell you anything about how long it is.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd