Wrong gauge wire or problematic AC unit?

I got a window unit that is 18000btu and required a dedicated 220 outlet and 15 amp breaker. I used 10/2 wire. the AC unit turns on but does not do much else. I got it off of Facebook marketplace. I need to know if the unit is garbage or if the 10/2 wire is causing too much voltage drop. Please help. I am an broke amateur.

Reply to
Ronnie B.

10/2 wire is not your problem. It sounds like you bought a bad AC.
Reply to
gfretwell

I had to run 10/3 with ground for my 1-1/2 ton garage unit but yours might be different.  Depends on the controls I guess.

Have you checked the motor capacitors?

Reply to
Tom

The wire should be adequate. Did you check that you are getting proper voltage? You say turns on. The fan? The compressor? Both? Was this a used unit?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I wish I knew how to do that. I'm afraid it may be a bad purchase.

Reply to
Ronnie B.

Thank you. I was worried that the 10/2 wire was causing a serious voltage drop.

Reply to
Ronnie B.

It was a used unit and a "good deal". I believe that the fan turns on but not the compressor. No cold air and then after about 2 minutes of running, it just quits again. I thought it may be a power problem with my wire/breaker combo. I really appreciate the help.

Reply to
Ronnie B.

Since a 15a circuit only needs 14ga wire, #10 is 2 sizes larger, voltage drop is not your problem. I suppose you could have a bad connection. The 15a device might not have terminals rated for 10ga wire.

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com - - - Could it be the plug, or what are you saying? The terminals?

Reply to
Ronnie B.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com - - Also, I did not think you should run 14 ga wire for 220? i have so much to learn.

Reply to
Ronnie B.

Likely a good reason the original owner sold it - but they should likely have thrown it away instead of "robbing" you.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Except then it wouldn't "run".

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Wire size depends on amps, not volts. 14ga is OK on 240/15a.

Reply to
gfretwell

Depends on whether it is "open" or just "loose".

Reply to
gfretwell

Are you sure you wired it into a 240V breaker, that you're not maybe giving it

120V? This is where a VOM is handy.
Reply to
trader_4

Regardless - if it RAN and didn't COOL it is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that the wire connection was at fault - or voltage drop on the wire. The OP bought a piece of scrap - 99.9%

Reply to
Clare Snyder