Lessons from Sandy

Sounds like you and neighbor need more water storage containers, to fill when the water is on?

Interesting idea, to plumb in a "share tube". I like it.

.

We have a lot of power outages with lines coming here along treed roads. In one extended one, before I had a generator, this neighbor had to get water for his toilets from the creek a quarter mile away. When the power was only out a few hours, they had run out of water to drink or brush their teeth. Even with a generator, I still keep bottled water and extra water for flushes. There are times that the well pump is broken. When that happens I can hook up to a next door neighbor and I've had them hook up to me.

If you don't have a few bottles of water, a flashlight, or a few extra batteries, you're a FUBAR loser.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We have a couple of these

I also got the rechargeable batteries for them. The batteries are sealed lead acid and they come with both a 120v and a 12v charger. You can also use 4 D cells. The light seems to be very even to me.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

You're all good, except for beer and pop tarts.

.

At the time I had dish satellite TV and cobbled together a light, tv and dish receiver so my then wife could see the amazing race...

today i could power the tivo connected to comcast or use my new flatscreen on my outdoor HDTV antenna.

Cable typically dies when the back up batteries die, although my tivo has a couple hundred hours of recorded shows in stock

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:MR8ks.609$ snipped-for-privacy@fe15.iad:

In the blackout in the 1960s, us kids couldn't wait to do our homework by candlelight. I remember working on a map of France.

Reply to
PeterD

I'm glad that works for you. And the 12 volt charger means, you can charge it off a car, the next day. What did it cost? And, was / is it worth the money, for you?

.

I also got the rechargeable batteries for them. The batteries are sealed lead acid and they come with both a 120v and a 12v charger. You can also use 4 D cells. The light seems to be very even to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That sounds analog, retro, kewl. Groovy, man! Far out!

.

In the blackout in the 1960s, us kids couldn't wait to do our homework by candlelight. I remember working on a map of France.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can almost double the useful light from a candle by putting an aluminum pie pan behind it so the light is directed toward your book or whatever. ( 1 candlepower becomes 2 candlepower in technical terms). Any highly reflective surface will do, of course, but be careful about setting something on fire.

But the total light from a candle is only about 3 lumens. Compare that to a

40 watt standard incandescent light bulb which puts out about 400 lumens.

Tomsic

Reply to
=

These first came out as "Jeep" lights. I bought one. Of course it's directional, sort of. Point at the ceiling, and it makes a good room light.

LED work in the cold, fluorescents might not.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

these at Walmart. Near the checkout, and in camping. Different prices, too. Hang on a cup hook in the ceiling, and screw off the diffuser dome. Lights the entire room well enough to walk around.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Check out the solar power lawn lamps. Take outside during the day to charge and bring them in at night.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I got some thing like this, can't remember where. The quality was awful, the generator was irritating, the light lasted about 10 minutes. The light spread was awful. I ended up giving it away.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Seen them at Dollar Tree. Why not stick them in the window, so the sunshine charges them?

For a buck, likely to be junk. I've got a solar motion flower that is ammusing.

.

Check out the solar power lawn lamps. Take outside during the day to charge and bring them in at night.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes. There is a fair bit of power involved in lights and cabinents.

Also, it is easier to train people to start, refuel and stop a generator, than it is to deal with deep discharge batteries and the inverter.

Also, when you start doing the figures, there can be some heavy currents running through the cables from the "battery" to the inverter.

Generators are heavier and less portable than batteries and inverter.

then there is the question of the wave form in the inverter Vs the desired sine wave form of the generator.

Reply to
terryc

I've got enough and neighbor had to borrow containers too. Neighbor's got plenty of money but if thieves ever broke into their house they'd probably leave money on the table when they saw how little stuff they had.

Reply to
Frank

Water containers are free. Most folks drink enough juice and soda, that they can store a bunch of water, over a period of time. That's how I did it.

Milk jugs not suitable, the plastic is too soft. They leak.

.

I've got enough and neighbor had to borrow containers too. Neighbor's got plenty of money but if thieves ever broke into their house they'd probably leave money on the table when they saw how little stuff they had.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Amazon lists over 9,000 LED flashlights. Try one of each and report back to us.

Reply to
Frank

I hate looking at lanterns. Especially bluish light ones.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

What I have been using for years, camping, working, in the dark, the best thing to have, at least one. Check link. If you don't have one, get one. Candles are good, and make heat, for power outages. I use kerosene for heat in those cases. I now also have gas stove.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I've already started.

.

Amazon lists over 9,000 LED flashlights. Try one of each and report back to us.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Fluorescents are yellowish. And, the Dorcy one is close to white light.

.