Lessons from Sandy

Yes, I am, but I've had little experience with real blackout so far. I'm going to order another one though, have an upstairs and downstairs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not many reviews on Amazon, but many are positive. The most negative one complains about the engine not running at 8000 feet, which shouldn't be an issue for you.

Reply to
rbowman

If you have your preps all in place and tested, your chances of having a blackout are greatly reduced. That's my finding, and I'm sticking to it.

For Sandy, I charged all my batteries, bought gas for the car, new gas for the generator, remelted some candles that had back wicks, and made sure I had food in the house. All the FEMA approved activities. No power cut.

.

Yes, I am, but I've had little experience with real blackout so far.

I'm going to order another one though, have an upstairs and downstairs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Again: Do not drink the water from a water heater (unless sterilized). Use such water for cleaning or sanitary purposes.

Reply to
HeyBub

Do you have any water for drinking and cooking?

.

Clean well, refill ever o often. I use kitty litter jugs, some at least 5 gallon. I treated with chlorine after filling. Right next to storage is 40 gallon hot water heater. More water. I could have really used a medicine dropper, will get one.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

For long term survival, a water filter would be nice, and a rainwater collector.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You consider cat potty containers suited for drinking water? Remind me not to visit.

.

I got water as above. It's a long walk to the river.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Or out of the WC (John)

Reply to
harry

org...

Just boil it.

Reply to
harry

That does not remove contaminants and odor.

Fresh polyethylene or polypropylene clay kitty litter buckets are easy to clean, unlike containers containing strange liquids, and small lids. Sometimes I buy the 40 pound plastic containers with handles, and snap lid. There are also 27 pound, and smaller containers with large lids. I just bought a large plastic kitty food container.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I actually have toilets in my mind for the extra large buckets. I mean pouring into the toilet.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I don't remember the cost off hand. I think that they were about $34 and the rechargeable battery was extra. Walmart has a version, made much cheaper, that just has hi and low settings for about $25. So far I have not needed them, but I will probably get a chance to use them this winter. It also makes the wife happy not to have a flame. I also have a couple of oil lamps, just in case. I am trying to get 12 volt chargers for all of my rechargeable items.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

The light from these seems to be white for me. I know what you mean by blue LED lights.

Reply to
Jim Rusling

...get out when they tell you to.

Reply to
frag

You know you are full of????

Reply to
Grumpy

r.org...

Are rivers in America so polluted? The main danger is faecal bacteria.

Reply to
harry

Well..its better than nothing..but....

The gas is expensive for the hours it can be used for per "cylinder" And there is no refilling them. And they are expensive to purchase.

Go to just about any second hand store and buy yourself a Coleman stove, a Coleman lantern (or several), and then to to Walmart and buy a couple gallons of white gas (whatever Wallyworld sells for filling Coleman type stoves and lanterns, and a few packs of spare mantles for the lanterns.

In a pinch..you can syphon a pint/quart or gallon of unleaded from your vehicle and run the stove and lanterns quite nicely. Some of the newer Coleman products are designed to run on unleaded gasoline..they usually are a gray or silver color...so snag them first.

I dont know where you live..but throughout most of the US..used stoves are about $10, lanterns are about the same, so for the price of one of those fancy ultralight stoves/lanterns and a couple gas cylinders...you can equip your entire house with cooling/heating and lights along with enough fuel to last you a week or more.

When not in use..they will fit nicely in a good plastic milk carton (which...ah..can be found all over..ahum) and be protected from damage.

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

Actually...no. A good marine battery will run a light for a surprisingly short amount of time.

And when you "switch out" batteries..it means you have more than 1. So the charging unit costs, as well as each battery costs. The charger is far far cheaper than each marine battery.

That being said..its better than nothing. However..when the batteries run down..and you still dont have any power..how do you charge them back up again? It takes 4-6 hours to recharge a deep cycle marine battery. It takes 30 minutes to siphon another gallon of gas out of your vehicle and refill the genny. And gennies will be readily available in about 6 months after the power comes back on..and people start thinking.." it will never happen again"...and sell theirs. And they will go for very little money in an area that has a shitload of gensets after an emergency. Supply and demand thingy.

The switching equipement probably runs on 20 amps of power at 220vts

Those LEDs may not take much power individually..but when you stack em up to make a signal..you have about 40 or more individual LEDs running per color...and x 8..it adds up.

Its better than the old incandescent..but it does take power. And the switching computer sucks power as well. Probably 5 amps-10 amps alone, remember..there are big oversized relays that ultimately do the switching.

Gunner

-- "President Obama is not going to lose. He will be re-elected. It is those of you who have these grand fantasies of that pip-squeak Romney actually having a chance at winning the election that will have to wake up to reality the day after the election. I hear there is plenty of room in the rest of the world where you can reside and establish new citizenship. Kirby Grant,

Reply to
Gunner

All true and very well stated.