Lessons from Sandy

... and the transformer that supplies it if you get a short. That is usually 2-4 houses depending on the size of the transformer. For those people, it is actually worse than taking out a whole street because you are lower on the "fix" list.

Reply to
gfretwell

Smitty Two wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

While Congress still has to relearn it, life is a succession of compromises. For the moment I am unwilling to remove that tree precisely because I like the shade. But if I get any inkling that it is weakened or sick, it'll go fast.

Reply to
Han

I have a tree like that too, my "shade tree" over the driveway. I always wanted one for working on my car. If it fell it would only hit the garage but I still keep the big limbs trimmed back

Reply to
gfretwell

We removed the 120+ foot tall oak from beside my little brothers house at Wasauga Beach a few years ago for the grand sum of $6 worth of gas for the chainsaw. 4 brothers and father put in about 5 hours of hard work - and between a few brothers and neighbours the vast majority of the wood dissapeared virtually overnight - at no cost at all.

Add about $100 to repair roof where a small branch hit and punched a hole - but it needed a roof anyway.

Reply to
clare

Which could short and take out the line fuse (if so equipped) or the transformer - an possibly cause a "domino effect" failure.

Reply to
clare

Thankfully all of my services are underground

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I will have to pay Bartlett Tree Service to tell me how healthy the tree is on a regular basis. This past summer they told me it was fine.

These pin oak (or similar) trees around here date from around 1929, when this neighborhood was developed. We are now a national historic landmark

wikipedia). Most trees here are around 80 years old, and getting old age diseases. Some may at times not have been pruned properly. I was told (I am not an arborist) that it is a no no to cut off the suckers that grow straight up from the big horizontal branches of these oaks. Must have been done to the branch that came down on a calm day, taking out a light pole, since it showed a nice area of rot going down through this big horizontal branch that broke off. We are into a program of tree replacement ...

The question is indeed, where is the balance between keeping shade trees and protecting power lines???

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah, I wish that were the case here ... I have no idea what it would cost. Some of the soil here is very thin, with rock (and underground water!) very near the surface. Many homes need sump pumps (mine doesn't). With the 80 year-old sewers, gas- and water-lines in place, getting electric underground would probably be a rather big job.

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm not that limber anymore. Did those things 30 years ago, including a big old cherry tree, the kind you hang a swing from. Remember standing on the corner of the roof to cut down a fairly young pine. I could easily reach the trunk standing there on the roof.

Now I don't do this anymore, and my offspring is great, but not like that ...

Reply to
Han

I think you can attach one leg to the gas line and one leg to the water line, and bring the power in that way.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Smitty Two wrote in news:notpublicinfo- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Too much gas in the sewer line ... Wouldn't work, especially when the soil is moist and conducive.

Reply to
Han