Kenmore Washer eating holes in clothes

Kenmore model 110.82873820 - periodically eats little holes in knit shirts, etc. I'm guessing they get into the agitator mechanism somehow.

Any hope of repair? - it's an old machine; perhaps I should just buy new? Gail

Reply to
P. Gail Chesler

I have a Bosch front loader that I love and swear by, with one exception. If I do a small load the detergent sometimes foams and comes out the door. Is there detergent for front loaders that is low foaming?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

You should be using a HE detergent. Tide and a few others make them but the liquid tide foams a bit much. If doing a small load use a tiny amount. Your clothes will still get clean because not much water goes into a tiny load.

Reply to
Art

Hi Gail,

Don't be too hasty in replacing this KM top-loader, even though it's a 1988. Most reliable, reasonably priced machine on the market right now.

Rub an old pair of pantyhose around the inside of the tub, including the agitator and its edges. This is a good way to find the sharp spot that's causing the damage. You'll feel the hosiery catch on whatever's causing the problem. I'd bet on a burr or sharp spot on the agitator. It doesn't take much of a burr to catch knits.

Don't buy a front-loader. While they do a great job and use less resources, I'm regularly seeing bearing failure at 5-7 years - or less

- and that's a terrible ROI.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish