Intercoms

Hi all,

I have just bought a flat and have noticed that the intercom does not work properly.

I live in a block of six flats and the buttons at the front door has a metal plate with 6 buttons on it (one for each flat). The phone part in my flat has the receiver part, the button to 'buzz' people into the building and a privacy switch.

When someone presses the button for my flat, my intercom 'buzzes' and I can let them into the flat (if I have it on privacy there is no sound when someone presses the button). So all these parts are working fine.

The problem comes when you lift the reciever and talk. The person at the front door can not hear me and I can not hear them. Also the button that the receiver presses when I hang up is missing.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if it is easy to replace the handset only and where I could get one relatively cheap?

All the ones I have found so far come with their own doorbell to go at the main entrance or are a wireless intercom.

Can anyone help please

Thanks and regards

John

Reply to
JMcC

Can you find a manufacturer's name on the unit?

If so, you might be able to contact them for service info and repair parts.

If not, and there's an owner's association for the building, maybe they have a clue as to who has maintained them in the past.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

My guess would be that the handset is just a standard telephone handset that you can probably replace by a one taken from a phone but I would also guess that is actually connects to the units inside the screw-in cover, unlike a regular phone that would have a jack/plug pair to faciliate quick disconnect. You may be able to undo the screws, get in and figure out the connection. After all, there are only four conductors that handset requires. It makes for only 16 trial/error connection combinations :-) Seriously, there has got to be the make/model number if not on the outside, then on the inside of the cover that you should use to lookup proper spare parts or a complete replacement unit.

Good luck, D~

\\//.

and Discussions Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 227217 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to