Insulating Garage Ceiling

Hi All,

I have a room above my garage that gets cold when the garage gets cold. I was thinking of putting up those pink styrofoam panels on the garage ceiling. Does anyone know if that would help?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Bergmaninni

I'd rather spend my money on a double thickness carpet pad and seal off the complete floor for leaks from below.

PJ

Reply to
PJx

Styrofoam will definately help insulate, but it will produce toxic vapors in the event of a fire.

Reply to
Phisherman

The room above is bare wood and we want to keep it that way. So carpeting is not a solution. Is there anything else that can be used? The garage ceiling is finished with sheetrock so I don't really want to remove it.

Reply to
Jay Bergmaninni

How about blowing insulation into the joist bays? I have the same setup and I also insulated the walls of my garage and installed an insulated garage door. This eliminated draft problems in the room and keeps the unheated garage fairly warm, even on subfreezing days.

Reply to
Joe Bartoldus