Installing New Tub Spout

I am trying to install a new tub spout but I can turn it only to where the spout points at four o'clock rather than six o'clock. I have really torqued it down with both hands and a wrench handle inside the spout to get it this far. The stem is a 4-5 inch copper piece with a 1/2 inch nipple soldered on it. I don't want to put anymore pressure on for fear of breaking the copper/solder connection. If I can get it to its six o'clock position, the back of the spout will be about 1/8 inch from the tile wall(within caulking distance). Stopping it at six o'clock on the previous turn makes it too far away from the wall in my opinion and it feels loose. Is there a 1/2 inch tapp made to add another thread or two to the spout (there is room inside the spout to do this)?

I could desolder the nipple and cut a small piece off the copper pipe and resolder it back on but I don't have much experience with this. Would I need some kind of heat sink so I don't desolder the joint behind the wall if this is the recommended choice? The pipe does flex back into the wall when I push on it but it just flexes right back in place when I let go. Can I try to tap on this to permanently move it back into the wall a little or am I asking for trouble? Thanks if anyone out there has knowledge on solving this problem.

Reply to
andy

try wrapping the threads with teflon tape 1st.

that would make it futher off the wall.

it sounds like the copper pipe was placed too far forward. cutting the pipe and resoldering is the way to go.

you are askng for a potential leak.

Reply to
Bryant

Is there a 1/2 inch tap made to add another thread or two to the spout (there is room inside the spout to do this)? > that would make it futher off the wall. >>

Woudn't that have the opposite effect? Seems to me that adding couple of threads or less either pipe or spout would permit the correct positioning and bring it closer to the wall. Places like Ace Hardware will have the needed 1/2" NPT tap to do the job. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

the pipe sticking out of the wall is not threaded all the way. the spout will only thread on to the end of the pipe thread. I would think by adding more threads would not matter (not that I am a plumber)

teflon tape wrapped around the threads would be the OP's best bet. (having run into this problem in the past myself)

if there is a better solution ..............I am all ears or is that all eyes?

Reply to
Bryant

The spout is not threaded all the way to the end. There is about 1/8 of an inch that isn't threaded and that is just what I need. The old one was threaded all the way through the spout. There is more threads on the nipple than on the spout. The spout bottoms out first before the nipple.

I have checked Ace; they don't have tapps big enough. Neither does Lowes or Home Depot. It is Sunday so I have pretty much ran out of options for today. I think I will go back to the plumbing supply place tomorrow to see if they have one that is threaded all the way. Perhaps I bought a defective spout.

positioning

Reply to
andy