Suggestions for Bathroom Floor

We installed new vanity, sink, cabinets 2 years ago & last Saturday we installed a Gerber Ultra toilet. WOW! It is a beautiful addition with its high end china appearance. But the floor has marked from the former 1940 addition.

Not interested in trying to cut carpet or linoleum to fit. We are told that the sicky squares are crap. Should we try tile? It is that too slippy, since we are in our 50's.

Reply to
Brenda

you can purchase non-slip tiles for the floor.

Reply to
Bryant

I love ceramic tile and do not find it slippery. You will need to remove the toilet to properly do any new floor.

Reply to
Alan

There are many choices of tiles that aren't super-slick or terribly expensive. If you go with 1'x1' tiles with a good size grout line you won't have too many problems with scatter tugs, towels, etc. backing you up.

You'll need to pull the toilet. Look in accent tiles---for very little money you can create a floor that looks like a million bucks.

Please don't do carpet---it's a disaster in a bathroom!

Reply to
BKS

If you are looking to save labor, tile is not the way to go. It is a lot of work to do a good tile job on a floor, plus you may have to raise the toilet flange.

Vinyl is really quite simple. The key to a good job is a smooth surface. If the old floor has a texture, you can prep the floor by screwing down a thin hardboard, or even just floating a floor levelling compound over the old flooring. Get a big piece of cardboard, like a refrigerator carton, and make a cardboard pattern. Appliance outfits throw away refrigerator cartons all the time. If you mess it up, just get another piece of cardboard. When you have it right, place the pattern on top of the vinyl, mark the outline with a felt pen, and cut it out with a scissors. Glue the floor with a notched glue trowel and lay the vinyl. If you buy the edge glue type vinyl, you won't even have to glue the whole floor. Install base around the edges, re-install the toilet, and you are done.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

I love tile in a bathroom. It handles the wet without any problems, is easy to clean and low maintenance. You can get systems to heat the floor, so that instead of a cold floor when you get out of the shower, you can have a nice warm floor.

We installed the tile floor in our bathroom. Not that hard to do, definately a cost saver since we had someone do the other bathroom for us (a much more complicated job) and it cost over $5000. Doing the floor in a normal size main bathroom (say 6x10), costs less than $500 with decent tile. There's lots of options, prices from $2/sq ft to $20/sq ft. And you can be creative!

Go for it.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

I'm going to try cork. I put cork in the kitchen and it's working well. I've seen some cork in a bathroom and it seems to work fine. I'm sure vinyl is the cheapest and easiest to install though.

snipped-for-privacy@despammed.com (Brenda) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
Doug Smith