Floor-covering options for bathroom ? - suggestions ?

Hi again
Yet another little niggle.
In the main bathroom the builders took it upon themselves to make a 'feature bathroom'.
((I've been in software long enough to know that 'feature' is another word for 'defect' ! - and this one's no exception..))
S0 - Lots of black and white tiles, looks like a cross between a Bratislavan sauna - circa 1957 and an old-fashioned butcher's shop - and about as inviting as both !
Anyway - we've sorted out the most impractical bits - but we're puzzling over the floor-covering.
Currently has a complicated pattern of black & white ceramic tiles - diamond-laid on plywood with zig-zag black & white border - yeuch!
To make it more exciting - some of the tiles are badly laid - so they're 'clicking' as you stand on them....
Options 1) Vinyl flooring - but you'd need to lift the existing tiles and get back to a smooth surface otherwise any inperfections (like little bits of tile adhesive) will show through
2) Clip-together 'wood' flooring - might work laid on top of the tiles - but might not be so good in a bathroom with the damp
3) Re-tile - no thanks....
4) Lay flooring-grade t&g chipboard sheets on top of the existing and then vinyl
5) Leave the existing tiles as they are (possibly find some way of 'fixing' the odd 'wobbly' one (small masonry drill and inject PVA under the tile) - and lay underlay / carpet on top - but how to fix the carpet grippers
6) As (5) above but use foam-backed carpet as a strictly short-term solution ( a year or so) until we've got everything else finished
I should add that there's only the two of us, and we're both old enough to be pretty good at 'aiming' toilet-wise, so that's not an issue with the carpet <g>
Have we missed any other options ? What does the team think ??
TIA Adrian

Do you have experience of Bratislavan saunas? ;-)
If so, sauna you than me...... I prefer the Finnish ones.....
Anyway, moving right along....
Personally, I like tiled bathroom floors, but leaving that aside.....
I would rip the tiles up. Since several are already loose, I suspect it would be a quick job.
Then regardless of what's next, get some WBP ply and screw it down to the floor to make a flat and sound surface.
I wouldn't use laminate flooring in a bathroom (actually I wouldn't use it anywhere, but especially not in a bathroom). Same goes for carpet - yuk in a bathroom regardless of aim.
Once that's done, you can lay your vinyl.
It seems to me that unless you are planning to redo the bathroom completely, titting around with coverings and bits on the existing floor will take almost as long and cost almost as much as doing the job properly. If it's delay until you redo the whole bathroom, then I would have thought repairing the existing floor with decent tile adhesive (not PVA) plus using some machine washable rugs would be a practical solution.
Hi Andy
wrote:

No - but I saw a film once <g>

....good.....
Yes - I'm sure that ripping up the tiles will be quick - it's getting a level surface after that that seems as though it might be a bit of a pita

We thought t&g chipboard - but same idea

Maybe..... - thanks for the suggestions
Adrian
This discussion has of course been going on for years because everyone wants a water-proof upstairs bathroom. But there is no perfect solution. The last cottage I lived in had it cracked - put the bathroom downstairs and concrete and tile the floor - we lived with it perfectly happily for 4 years. I don't care what others may have said, you cannot ceramic tile on wood, sooner or later something will give and you will be pissed off. Vinyl really is the best option sealed round the edges with clear silicone and maybe some moulding/quadrant to make ir really smart ( I found some plastic quadrant t'other day which looked just like wood albeit for another job. Eccles
said:

Richard Bates wrote:

Oh yes you can, but you have to make the wood bloody rigid and the tile cement and grout a bit flexible.
CONCRETE is flexible to, you know.
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:22:04 +0100 someone who may be Adrian
Flotex.
Still the question of getting a level floor first, but it does combine the practicality of vinyl with the warmth of carpet.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Hi David

Is that the stuff that's abit like carpet tiles - but on a roll ??

Hmm - OK....
I seem to think that the floor levelling is the major part of the hassle..
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 20:15:11 +0100 someone who may be Adrian

It has shorter hairs and is thinner, but apart from that your description is correct.
--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Adrian wrote:

Cork tiles?
On 2006-10-18 11:31:07 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@bigmailbox.net said:

He lives a little way from there.
Even so, not a good idea on top of the ceramic ones. They need a flat surface.
Hi Andy
wrote:

Boom boom ! <sigh>

And they're a bit of a pain to maintain, as I recall from many years ago....
Thanks both
I think it's looking like the 'quick fix' solution at the moment - some cheapy foam-backed carpet for 6 - 12 mths - we need to get a few things 'finished' as the place is in danger of degenerating into a house full of unfinished jobs..... you know the type of thing ?? <g>
Thanks Adrian