Installing 3" Screws in Door Frame

I have a ANSI 3-rated deadbolt, and I want to add 3" screws to the strike p late. The deadbolt, and locking knob was installed last week, but they onl y used 2" screws for it. I want longer screws, and I tried to install them but the screws only go in about 80%, before the + starts to strip. Should I try a long nail to get the hole started, before the screw? My drill bits a re by DeWalt, but they're not as long as the screws. What should I try next ?
Thanks,
-S
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 11:46:36 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

plate. The deadbolt, and locking knob was installed last week, but they o nly used 2" screws for it. I want longer screws, and I tried to install the m but the screws only go in about 80%, before the + starts to strip. Should I try a long nail to get the hole started, before the screw? My drill bits are by DeWalt, but they're not as long as the screws. What should I try ne xt?

You have the drill bit inserted all the way into the drill? Move it out so it's only gripping 1/2" or so. Not sure how much benefit there is to 3" screws. If someone is trying to force the door, seems to me the force is mostly on trying to move the screws perpendicular to the installed direction and 3" vs 2" may not matter that much.

Are you using the proper sized drill for the screw? You can also buy tapered drill bits too. You do not have to go all the way with the pilot. Try extending the bit in the chuck a bit too, you may get a half inch more that way.
Is the screw just getting tight or it is hitting something? If you are in a brick frame you can be hitting the brick.

Jack stud is 1.5", and the door jam usually 1 inch or less - - so if the door frame is a snug fit, they way I leke them, a 3 inch screw would go through the jack stud and hit prick or mortar or concrete if it exists.
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 9:52:00 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Must hurt to get a 3" screw into your prick, Clare.
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 08:46:28 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A great and very old trick, take a bar of slightly wet soap, rub the threads of the screw on the soap and then try driving them. The soap will act as a lubricant and the screws will go in much easier.
--

The problem is Donald Trump. The solution is impeachment or, the otherwise legal
removal, from office, of the greatest threat to peace the world has ever known.
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 11:46:36 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

plate. The deadbolt, and locking knob was installed last week, but they o nly used 2" screws for it. I want longer screws, and I tried to install the m but the screws only go in about 80%, before the + starts to strip. Should I try a long nail to get the hole started, before the screw? My drill bits are by DeWalt, but they're not as long as the screws. What should I try ne xt?

All are properly screwed in at this time. I had no idea that long drill bit s were available; I purchased one, and did the job.
I really appreciate all of the responses. I'm a writer, but I am now learni ng how to take care of things in my home.
Regards,
-S
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 11:46:36 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

plate. The deadbolt, and locking knob was installed last week, but they o nly used 2" screws for it. I want longer screws, and I tried to install the m but the screws only go in about 80%, before the + starts to strip. Should I try a long nail to get the hole started, before the screw? My drill bits are by DeWalt, but they're not as long as the screws. What should I try ne xt?

I can't seem to mark this post as "resolved," do I will delete it.
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 08:46:28 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

2 1/2" screws? Likely hitting something metal or concrete. Why do you want 3 inch screws? They will not be any more secure than 2 inch in that application.
On Saturday, September 2, 2017 at 9:48:30 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrot e:

e plate. The deadbolt, and locking knob was installed last week, but they only used 2" screws for it. I want longer screws, and I tried to install th em but the screws only go in about 80%, before the + starts to strip. Shoul d I try a long nail to get the hole started, before the screw? My drill bit s are by DeWalt, but they're not as long as the screws. What should I try n ext?

That's pretty much what I said 9 hours ago, which you'd know if you didn't have everyone here who you don't like blocked, including me.