incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

You miss the goal entirely. It is the flogging that's important, not getting the horse to do what you want.

Reply to
HeyBub

Terry - The Philips summary page does state that PAR38 lamps will be regulated as og 7/14/2012, and my copy of HR 6. gives the lower efficay targets on page 98.

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Well, this is what happens when you rely on Wikipedia instead of the source documentation. Wikipedia is sometimes correct, but can also be incorrect, as there is no quality control.

The source documentation here is the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, available as a PDF for no charge at

Incandescent lamps are not being banned. The Energy Independnce and Security Act of 2007 imposes certain minimum performance requirements for many lamp types, including commonly used incandescent lamps. You will still be able to buy high efficieny versions that use halogen incandescent technology. In spite of other comments in this thread, halogen incandecent lamps are "real: incandescent lamps. They generate light by heating a tungsten filament to a high temperature, and produce a continuous spectrum, just like any other incandescent lamp. They can be dimmed line any other incandescent lamp. The only observable difference is that the color temperature is somewhat higher.

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

The minumum performance of 120-watt reflector lamps is also mandated. They are not exempt.

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Why do you think that halogen incandescent lamps are not "incandescent" ? How do you think they generate light?

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

There is no reason why a halogen incandescent lamp cannot be desiogned with the same light diffucing coating used for regular incandescent lamps. Have you ever seen a normal incandescent lamp in a clear bulb? It is also rather blinding. The issue of "blinding" is not related to halogen or non-halogen.

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts
[snip]

Why? What is it about CFLs that make you believe they will always be ugly?

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts
[snip]

This is a nice story, but not true. You don't even have to rely on "experts" to tell you. You can figure it out all on your own.

Energy costs money, and the cost of energy used to make all products is included in the price. It must be or the manufacturers of the components and the final product would go broke.

If the energy used to make a CFL was more than the energy saved by that CFL, then the cost of the CFL could not be so much lower than the cost of the energy saved.

You may counter that the cost of energy to the manufacturer is lower than the cost of energy to the homeowner. That is a fair comment. However, even if you assume that the factories that make the components for the CFL, and the CFL itself pay half the price per unit of energy than the homeowner does, the cost of the energy saved by one CFL far outweighs the retail price of the CFL.

I agree that the Ethanol situation is far different. That is why Ethanol requires a subsidy to break even, while CFLs do not.

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

The nature of the beast.

Reply to
krw

Certainly. I have a lifetime supply squirreled away. I have something like

50 of them around my house (one of many reasons CFL is out). If you'd been reading, you would have known this.

Sure it is.

Reply to
krw

Why do pretend that halogen's are the ones we are talking about? Incandescent, in common usage for years and years, has been the round ones. This is just another misdirection to try and pretend something that is happening isn't by splitting hairs VERY fine.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

If you are unable (or unwilling) to cite the specific performance feature or features you object to, I must assume that your objections are based on some sort of prejudice against the technology, rather than its actual performance.

Vic Roberts

Rogues Gallery

This information is provided for educational purposes only. It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web site without written permission.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Good God, you're stupid. What is hard about *ugly* to understand? The light from many is ugly, they're slow to start but that's not the issue, here.

The point is that they're butt ugly hanging out of fixtures where the bulb is visible. Got it?

Reply to
krw

"Victor Roberts" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Exactly!

Furthermore, CFLs and LEDs are available in all shapes and sizes and color temps.

If snipped-for-privacy@att.buzzzzzz can't find an energy saving bulb they like, they havent looked hard enough.

Reply to
Ted

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Beaty (and ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder. Arrange your fixtures so the spiral doesn't show, or get the CFLs with a bulb-like glass cover. I have NO PROBLEMO with the simple CFLs I have, and neither does the boss.

Reply to
Han

Though I don't agree with krw, I agree with him. If it's ugly to him, it's ugly to him. There's no law against storing up old type light bulbs. And it will never be against the law to use 'em if you have 'em. I kind of like the idea of folks filling their basements with cartons of light bulbs. Just something neat about that. Rugged individualism they call it. "The only way you'll get my incandescent is to take it from my hot dead hand."

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Vic Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Can't disagree with you . I was just expressing my opinion.

Reply to
Han

Duh! Ya think!

The fixtures are meant to have the bulbs exposed, period. You might have noticed that many chandeliers have the bulbs showing, as do most ceiling fan light fixtures. They're intended to use unfrosted bulbs. Something that would be rather difficult to manage with a CFL.

Reply to
krw

Another moron who can't read, much less think.

Reply to
krw

The real moron is the guy still using incandescent lighting and paying 5x as much per lumen. Why don't you go back to gas lighting or even candles? Bwaaaahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaah!

Reply to
Jesee