incandescent light bulb phase-out in the U.S. (are flood bulbs exempt?)

Whoopie! I'm positively green with envy.

Reply to
krw

Typical. You've taken every concept you don't agree with from God knows which Republicans, then in most cases totally distorted what they actually said, and packaged it into one convenient strawman.

Let's take one example. The current front runners in the Republican race are Romney and Perry by a huge margin. So they must represent the views of most Republicans. Show us where Romney or Perry, the front runners by a wide margin, have a plan of cutting the captial gains tax to zero for super wealthy Americans, putting more burden on the middle class.

Reply to
trader4

Excellent idea, though you know as well as I that it's not going to happen.

Excellent idea. It *will* end, as we know it. It's better to control how it ends.

A lie, but see the above.

Excellent idea! However, Romney wants to drop it only on those making all of these will put more tax burdens on the middle class

You're nuts.

Reply to
krw

You're 100% wrong. Light is an *INSIGNIFICANT* part of my electric bill.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you leave your TV on standby when not watching, then that is a significant portion. Fridge and A/C are most important, then other appliances. Light may be a small portion, but CFL's do cut that part very nicely. While incandescant bulbs may have a slightly nicer light, we have gone to CFLs wherever we can.

Reply to
Han

Wrong. On standby it's next to nothing. When it's on (a significant part of the day) it's around 100X the power.

You forgot hot water and heat.

A couple of bucks a month. Maximum.

CFLs will always be ugly and I'm not convinced that LEDs will be any better for omnidirectional fixtures. That's the primary reason I've laid in a lifetime supply of incandescents.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hot water and heat should be gas, not eletric .

Fine, but it makes a difference in an incremental way

Sorry. But thanks for investing in a dying industry.

Reply to
Han

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The vast energy and large supply chain of parts that goes into a CFL negates the savings. An incandescent has 5 parts. A CFL can have a hundred parts each of which needs a deep global supply chain, mining, and manufacturing of those complex electronic parts, not to mention the toxic phosphors, gasses and mercury. An incandescent has no toxic components and uses argon a harmless inert gas some glass, tungsten wire, aluminum, solder and brass. This story is much like the ethanol story, it takes more energy and pollutes more just to make the ethanol (a low btu fuel that gets fewer mpg to boot). But a farm lobby that keeps the boondoggle going in a few corn states.

Reply to
RickH

Yah, I suspect your air conditioners run 24/7/365 trying to pump all that hot air out of your house.

Reply to
Michael Angelo

Not when the only alternative is LP and electricity is cheap (heat pumps making it even cheaper).

Nonsense. I lose more change out of my pocket.

China thanks you for investing in them.

Reply to
krw

I suspect there is a constant sucking sound coming from your ears.

Reply to
krw

85% of the worlds supply of tungsten comes from China. There is an estimated 140 year supply remaining on the planet.

CFLs last a lot longer than incandescent. Make sure to include that factor in any cost and pollution considerations.

The bulbs should be recycled so that the tiny amount of mercury in the bulb can be recovered.

I put CFLs in our bathroom vanity mirror. Just the tips stick out and when lit, they look great.

Reply to
despen

Interstate Commerce Clause. It's in there (everything is).

Reply to
krw

It is no different. If people want that stuff, in a free economy, they will get it, if possible. None of the above needs Big Brother, a historically incompetent ass, telling individuals what they need or want.

Reply to
Jack Stein

+2
Reply to
Jack Stein

Ever notice how the new incandescents (halogen) are coming out now? They have been available but difficult to find and priced way too high for at least 20 years. But now they are showing up for reasonable value in every grocery store.

The market didn't call for seat belts or anti-corruption in business.

Government is the peoples tool to control the markets!

---RickR

Reply to
rick

It's in there. Obama just needs to raise taxes.

Reply to
krw

I've used (some) halogens for many years. As I said in another article, they're great for some applications; not others.

Bullshit! Show me where that is in the Constitution!

Reply to
krw

Sure, but some of the peons still have a little left. *Every* proposal from Obummer contains yet higher taxes.

Reply to
krw

Flogging? Well...

Reply to