Ice maker is broken...

I have a Kenmore 106.515541004. It is the same as the Whirlpool ED5SHAXMT; the one with ice in the door. It is now 3 years old.

Last April I went on vacation and turned the water off. When I turned it back on, the ice maker didn't work. About a week later it started up again and ran for a few weeks before it died. After a week it ran fine for 9 months. Now it is dead again.

Any advice? I don't use ice, but she does.

Reply to
toller

Ice makers aren't my specialty but you might have a stuck solenoid. Do have anyway of telling if water is getting into the unit? Also, there should be a switch to tell the icemaker it is full (so to speak) and it may be sticking or flaky. You might excercise the switch and see if that helps.....good luck,Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

It's also not uncommon for the water inside the nozzle that feeds the ice tray to freeze. When that happens you can't make ice even though everything else is working correctly.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

That is a good point....does the OP have a way to measure the temperature of the freezer compartment? It should be about zero degrees with the fridge compartment about 38 degrees.....good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

This is Turtle.

I see this problem as you explained on some of the Whirlpool / half moon ice makers / your type and it is useuly is cause by three things.

1) The temperatrure cycle switch that tell the ice maker the ice cups are frozen and to call for a dump is sticking and staying open because of being defective.

2) The Freezer compartment of the freezer is not getting below 12ºF which the Temperature cycle switch will turn the ice maker on to work in the first place. The TCS has dual purposes here to cut the ice maker off if you turn the box off or if it is not cold enough to make ice in the freezer compartment.

3) You have a bad gear in the gears to roll the fingers to throw the ice out and is hanging up. To see if it is this look at the fingers and see if they are sticking out away from the wall at a 45º Angle and if so this is not the case. If they are stuck down or anyother way than at a 45º angle it is a stuck gear.

The cure in either case is to just replace the ice maker and cellinoid coil & valve. It is just too hard tring to repair these ice makers.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

When I went to have a look at it, I noticed the red light by the on-off switch was blinking twice. Does this mean something? I didn't notice it last year.

Thanks.

Reply to
toller

twice, then once, then finally, when they stop blinking, it will explode..

RUN!!!!

randy

Reply to
xrongor

This is Turtle.

i see you have a computorize ice maker and the newer models and i will give this advise to fix it. Change it out like you would a lite bulb. The sequace of the lites will tell you what it is but 99% of the time it is a electric part in it and by the time you get the part and install it. You can buy a new ice maker for that price. If it blink more than one ain a sequance. It is saying Buy a New One - Buy a New One - Buy a New One.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE