How do u make an interior door NOT swing so easily ?

If i just brush against an interior door in my house, it closes . I want it open. Can i put anything in/on the hinges so it wont swing so easily ? Thanks.

Reply to
JustCallMe Norman

No you don't put anything on the hinges, you just remove one or more of the hinge pins and bend it a little with a hammer and put it back in with a few taps. Don't over do it the first time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That works, but IMHO it gives the door a "funny" draggy feel when you move it.

I prefer the magnetic or mechanical catches which hold the door against the wall. they usually fasten onto the baseboard.

In case you didn't figure out why it "closes by itself" that way, it's because the jamb the hinges are attached to is not perfectly vertical, and the door wants to drop towards a position of lower potential energy. If the jamb were tilted oppositly the door would move towards the open position.

You might also consider getting the foundation of your house jacked up on the proper side to correct the condition.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
William Brown

Jeff Wisnia wrote: ...

My father, the carpenter and locksmith always framed his doors so they were off vertical in a position of falling towards the wall so they would tend to stay open if open and stay closed if closed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I tried this a couple of years ago, it worked just fine. Problem now is stuff keeps sliding off the kitchen countertop.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

You have no duct tape?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Joseph,

This is a little job security for the locksmith, guy gets up and steps out on his porch to pick up the paper and the door shuts behind him locking him out.

I realize this was sometimes done, but I don't believe the practice was an industry standard.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Something like this happened to a guy in a wheelchair in W. Michigan a week or two ago (but he was taking out the trash, not getting his newspaper). He dropped his keys, was unable to reach them under his wheelchair, and died of exposure.

Perce

On 01/05/05 09:51 am Roger Shoaf tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy