Checking Air Conditioner in Cold Weather

I live in Cincinnati, and although the weather has gotten up to 60
degrees recently, it had not reached 65 degrees, which I understand is the
minimum temperature to check an air conditioner. I am buying a house to rehab
it (factoring in the possibility that the air conditioner might not work), and
I am wondering if there is anyway to find out whether the air conditioner works
if the temperature is under 65 degrees, or whether I simply have to wait until
the temperature gets high enough. Because this is a foreclosed house, I cannot
locate the former owner and ask her how it functioned. Any help would be
appreciated. Thanks,
JD
Reply to
Decij
You run the risk of damage if its below 'approx.' 60 f . The manufacturers literature even says dont use below 60 f. HOWEVER, if its exactly 60 f. outside , and youve first heated up the house to about 75 f inside (so theres an adequate load on the cooling system)....then you can run the a/c system for a very short amount of time (minutes) while feeling for cold air coming out of the registers. Then immediatly shut the system down.
If you cannot test the a/c system, it is a common practice to have 'x' amount of dollars held in the sellers escrow until it can be started up and checked out (preferrably by a contractor who can tell you exactly how its working).
Reply to
JustCallMe Norman
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:17:33 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (JustCallMe
Or you could just call an air conditioning tech out and use the money that you saved by buying a foreclosed home. Nahhh, that would make too much sense. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba

Site Timeline Threads