Air conditioner maintenance question

All the a/c maintenance / efficiency blurbs talk about changing filters, without specifying whether they mean some filter built into the a/c, or the central system filter that is used by the furnace too (or both).

I couldn't find a filter in the meager literature that comes with our a/c, or that I could see on the a/c unit.

Is it there a filter on some/all a/c units, or are they refering to the regular central air filter?

thanks

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

They are referring to the filter that is (usually) at the air return of your AC system.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Which is found where?

thanks

Reply to
Kurt Gavin

Is the AC part of your heating system? If so, that is the filter.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

with the word "FILTER" and normally is easily removed by thumb screws or similar hardware

Reply to
JGolan

Without seeing precisely what you're looking at one can't be positive, but I believe they mean what you're referring to as the "regular" one. That's the only filter I change, FWIW.

The only other thing that I'm aware of that might possibly be referred to as a filter is more in the nature of a dessicant canister, and changing it (if that were ever even advisable, which I doubt) is a major repair.

Reply to
CJT

Hi, there, I am facing the same problem. Have you found out how to get to the filter in the room air conditioner? We got our AC second hand without the manual. But I figure the filter needs change since it is not very efficient. But I have no idea how to get to the filter, and what kind of filter replacement we will need.

Thanks!

Chunh> All the a/c maintenance / efficiency blurbs talk about changing filters,

Reply to
joy

The filter, if it has one, is under the inside plastic cover. You get at it from inside the room. Many room AC have no filter.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I might add, To make it more efficient, when you have it apart, clean the coil with a strong degreaser and/or bathroom tile wall cleaner.

Reply to
JimL