Air Conditioner

I want my house to get cooler. The air conditioner I have puts out air thats 60 degrees F or 15C at the floor register. My house never gets colder than 75F or 24C. If I run the air conditioner all day long it never gets colder. I have lots of windows in the house which I have blinds on to stop the sunlight. Is there anything I can do to have a colder house? My air conditioner is 3 years old, is there any maintenance I need to do?

The unit is undersized for the heat load, apparently.

Check the filters are clean; sounds otherwise like in fine shape for the unit itself.

The things you can do are insulate and fix air leaks, etc.

Many utility companies have services to evaluate and some still have cost share programs as well.

Reply to
dpb

How hot is it outside?

- If it's 80, you might have an issue. If it's 115, maybe not.

What is your insulation status?

- You can cover the windows, but empty walls are going to make the AC work really hard.

When was the last time you had the unit professionally checked?

- After three years, it might be worth a service call.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did it ever work better?

Is it hot near your ceiling? What is above the ceiling? An attic that is burning hot? Even though heat rises, a hot ceiling will still make the floor below it hot, and maybe the floor below that one. You may need a lot more insulation between a non-finished attic and the rooms you live in. How much do you have now. A thermostatically controlled fan in the roof does a lot of good for me, or in the gable.

Reply to
mm

75F seems about right, how much colder do you want it?

If it runs all day the humdity control must be pretty good.

What is that the thermostat setting? How hot outside?

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Consider hanging roll-down OUTDOOR blinds (bamboo or white plastic strips) on the OUTSIDE of your sun facing windows to keep the heat out. They re cheap..only $ 10-15 at Lowes Interior blinds won't stop the heat, the sun has already come thru the glass and heated the air inside the home.

These have made a great difference in the heat load in our home.

Reply to
Rudy

This may not have any effect on your specific situation:

In my house it turned out to be return air to the central furnace A/C unit. They called it air starved. Seems the heat exchanger for the AC in the furnace is based on a volume of air passing over the cooling coils. Not air pressure, but volume of air.

To get the volume of air, that meant the air returns through out the house had to be unblocked (major furniture moving.) Plus a large air return added to basement. The furnace blower motor was powerful enough, but it still needed help with large air returns.

Reply to
Phil Again

"Rudy" wrote in news:1ymok.76029$nD.56963@pd7urf1no:

Been doing that for years with the rollups on the outside on house windows that get sun beat. People thought it was weird seeing those rollups on the outside. I'd explain exactly what you said above. I'd see that ["Gee, if that doesn't make sense."] look on their face.

You can get them even cheaper at WalMart when they have them.

Just have to make sure you get them rolled up when you get those high wind thunderstorms. I've lost a few but, as said, they're cheap and expendable considering the payback.

Reply to
Red Green

To state the obvious. You either have too much heat coming in, or too little heat removal. The others have given you good ideas. Look to weatherstripping, window covers, attic fan.

The other thing to do, is to call an AC service company for a clean and check. As others have suggested, air flow, etc. The other two which come to mind are low freon, or needs cleaning. A good service company can fix both of those.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

60 degrees seems too high. Others have given good ideas, but it seems to me that your AC is either over or under charged. It sounds like my unit and the AC guy had to take out a few pounds of Freon (yes, Freon, it was that old).

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Freon is a brand name for refrigerant. Like Sunnoco is a brand name for gasoline. It may have been Isotron, Genetron, Forane, or some other brand. I'm not even sure if the Freon brand is still available.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

okay, R-22 mr moron

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Bunch of web pages, that can supply ideas.

.

hlb

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Low freon. Low air flow.

Reply to
krw

It's low on coolant (Freon).

Reply to
HeyBub

Reasons for message so brief and devoid of description it is not answerable?

Reply to
Larry W

Avoid using it during the winter.

Reply to
Larry W

He's got to hold it closer to the screen, so we can see.

.

Reasons for message so brief and devoid of description it is not answerable?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That would make me very cold. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I check air flow.

.

The only thing I got from your message was "freeze up". Low refrigerant gas level due to a leak or normal losses is the first thing to check when that happens.

Tomsic

Reply to
Stormin Mormon