How can these possibly stay up?

Commander Kinsey

Blind shelf supports :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Reply to
micky

One-minute tutorial for anchoring floating shelves starts at 00:06:03

kelown

Ask yer wife. Same way she keeps her strapless evening gown up ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

It's obvious. There are steel rods deeply embedded in the wall and the shelves..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Neither of the 2 methods had anything embedded deeply in the walls - just ordinary screws into studs :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

You'd think the weight of a full shelf of books would yank those screws out of even wood. Too much leverage, there needs to be a support lower down, like this:

Commander Kinsey

That does not stay up if weight is applied by my foot. The perky nipples are not enough to keep it there.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

"* These capacity ratings are based on evenly distributed loads. Keeping the load more toward the rear of the shelf will increase the capacity and decrease deflection."

"100 lb for a 4" deep shelf" seems optimistic unless you keep it very close to the wall so the loading is mostly in shear.

I grabbed 11 trade sized paperbacks off my shelf that looked approximately like the photo and they weighed 6.5 pounds so that is nowhere near to claim.

Reply to
rbowman

I wonder what shock load a cat can produce when launching from a shelf?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I wonder what shock load a cat can produce when launching from a shelf?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I wonder what shock load a cat can produce when launching from a shelf?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are you saying my wife has steel rots deeply embedded in her chest!

I hope not. Please don't generalize from, perhaps, your wife. Quickly, please, take your wife to the orthopedist or blacksmith.

Reply to
micky

oh micky you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind

hey micky

hey micky

Reply to
%